PDA

View Full Version : I have a weird monitor?

mickbuntu
September 6th, 2010, 09:26 PM
Hello,

Does anyone know why would an LCD monitor hiss totally when only using a web browser? My monitor stops to hiss when I minimize the browser window and starts to hiss again when I unmaximize the browser window. When I am transitioning between pages it stops to hiss for a few seconds too. Certain other applications make a little hiss such as openoffice or none at all. The monitors external speakers are not connected to my computer I use external speakers. Yet, the sound is coming from the speakers on the monitor itself! I find it funny, weird and sad at the same time unable to pinpoint the problem. Visual information on unplugged speakers somehow make it hiss and depends on the application too. Otherwise my ubuntu is working normally!

mendhak
September 6th, 2010, 09:29 PM
It disapproves of your choice of browser.

TheNerdAL
September 6th, 2010, 09:35 PM
It disapproves of your choice of browser.

I wonder what it would do if it had Internet Explorer. :P

mr clark25
September 6th, 2010, 10:16 PM
I wonder what it would do if it had Internet Explorer. :P

self-destruct?

if you don't plan on using the internal speakers (ever) on the monitor and you don't mind voiding warrenty, you could just cut one of the wires going to each of the speakers...

mickbuntu
September 6th, 2010, 10:18 PM
I use firefox

mickbuntu
September 6th, 2010, 10:20 PM
It seems that maybe my monitor is going dead. The adopter clears some lines that appear after messing with the settings.

self-destruct?

if you don't plan on using the internal speakers (ever) on the monitor and you don't mind voiding warrenty, you could just cut one of the wires going to each of the speakers...

CharlesA
September 7th, 2010, 01:24 AM
It's probably the backlight going out or something.

chriswyatt
September 7th, 2010, 01:29 AM
I get that on my laptop when my headphones are plugged in, I here different noises I think depending on levels of white on the screen, whether I'm scrolling etc.. It's quite an interesting effect, I'm sure some clever geek on here could probably give a good explanation.

Obviously some sort of electrical interference anyway.

t0p
September 7th, 2010, 01:43 AM
Your computer has been compromised. When you connect to the internet via the browser, the computer is being invaded by worms. But these worms have eaten so much data, they've grown big enough to be snakes.

My advice: wear boots all the time with your trouser legs tucked in, just in case. Or get a mongoose. There must be some Free mongeese* out there.

[* Note: what do you think is the plural of mongoose? I used mongeese on a whim, but I do like to be accurate about small insignificant nothings like this. So tell me: is it mongooses or mongeese? I'd look it up in a dictionary myself, but its such fun getting people all round the world to do stuff for me. Oh heck. Did I type that out loud?]

cartman640
September 7th, 2010, 03:07 AM
Tried muting the speakers on the monitor?

MasterNetra
September 7th, 2010, 03:10 AM
I get that on my laptop when my headphones are plugged in, I here different noises I think depending on levels of white on the screen, whether I'm scrolling etc.. It's quite an interesting effect, I'm sure some clever geek on here could probably give a good explanation.

Obviously some sort of electrical interference anyway.

lol, White noise. Who knew color was so noisy. :p

Dustin2128
September 7th, 2010, 03:43 AM
Your computer has been compromised. When you connect to the internet via the browser, the computer is being invaded by worms. But these worms have eaten so much data, they've grown big enough to be snakes.

My advice: wear boots all the time with your trouser legs tucked in, just in case. Or get a mongoose. There must be some Free mongeese* out there.

[* Note: what do you think is the plural of mongoose? I used mongeese on a whim, but I do like to be accurate about small insignificant nothings like this. So tell me: is it mongooses or mongeese? I'd look it up in a dictionary myself, but its such fun getting people all round the world to do stuff for me. Oh heck. Did I type that out loud?]
Mongooses is the correct plural. Also :lolflag:

mendhak
September 7th, 2010, 07:37 AM
Hello,

Does anyone know why would an LCD monitor hiss totally when only using a web browser? My monitor stops to hiss when I minimize the browser window and starts to hiss again when I unmaximize the browser window. When I am transitioning between pages it stops to hiss for a few seconds too. Certain other applications make a little hiss such as openoffice or none at all. The monitors external speakers are not connected to my computer I use external speakers. Yet, the sound is coming from the speakers on the monitor itself! I find it funny, weird and sad at the same time unable to pinpoint the problem. Visual information on unplugged speakers somehow make it hiss and depends on the application too. Otherwise my ubuntu is working normally!
On a more serious note, if it's from the monitor's own speakers, look for the physical menu button on the monitor and see if you can turn those speakers off.

soccorss12
September 7th, 2010, 07:55 AM
Sorry to ask this but what do you mean by "hiss"??

s0rc3r3r
September 7th, 2010, 07:59 AM
Chant very loud ..you should, over come the white noise..you will!!

Is it cuz of some electrical interference like..from other devices near it?
or
a curious case of thermal expansion
or
it could be the sound of electrons making out

earthpigg
September 7th, 2010, 08:51 AM
It could be the combination of colors displayed on the screen.

IE: if more than x% of the screen is filled with colors close to white, the internals of the display cannot handle it.

look at a web page in firefox that is mostly black.
then, look at a web page that is mostly white.

for kicks: fill your display with red, then green, then blue. play with combinations of the two.

see if it makes a difference.

mickbuntu
September 7th, 2010, 05:17 PM
Thank You I will try the color test right now. Someone said to modify the speakers they are built in. I do not use them as they do not sound good and they are unplugged. Some of the humor jokes that some of you made are funny. I have cyborgs invading my monitor help! maybe ubuntu 10.10 will stop the invasion? ):P

Whatever it is it is I do not like it and this ubuntu compose page does make it sound worse (maybe white light background? will test now).

EDIT: White: Terrible noise, Black: Some noise, Red: none or almost none.

mickbuntu
September 7th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Seems the black color makes it less noisy however the browsers scrollbars even maximized are not black. So tiny extra white makes it sound worse I did not try other colors yet but confirms the color intolerance. Perhaps, my monitor is going colorblind but to white instead of green, red, and blues ?LOL?

So what really has happened to my monitor it used to like all colors? I bought it in 2003 here is the image of it: http://web.archive.org/web/20060225070948/www.allystar.com/images.asp?linenumber=144&img=IM000523.JPG The speakers are those oval things that you see. What you do not see is a standard cd player sized plug that connects to the computers soundcard.

It could be the combination of colors displayed on the screen.

IE: if more than x% of the screen is filled with colors close to white, the internals of the display cannot handle it.

look at a web page in firefox that is mostly black.
then, look at a web page that is mostly white.

for kicks: fill your display with red, then green, then blue. play with combinations of the two.

see if it makes a difference.

earthpigg
September 7th, 2010, 07:16 PM
it's dying.

until you can afford to or feel like buying a new one:

got an nvidia video card? nvidia-settings has a tool in "X Server Color Correction" that ought to let you essentially turn your display in to red-and-dark-red only.

got a command-line only system around? you can edit .bashrc so that the background is red, and foreground is green. or some other combination that your monitor likes.