PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on updating to 10.4

themuseman
September 6th, 2010, 08:55 PM
I am running Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.10 on an Asus 1005HA netbook. It is a dual boot system, the other OS being Windows XP. I haven't been using the Ubuntu a lot, but now I am at the point where I want to use the Ubuntu OS full time if possible. I may as well update to the Netbook Remix 10.4 now though.

Here is my question: The Update Manager indicates that I can update to 10.4 through it -- If I do that, will it know to install the Netbook Remix version? Or do I need to download the iso and install it from scratch?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, as I am hoping that I can finally kiss Microsoft ):P goodbye.

themuseman

e79
September 6th, 2010, 11:14 PM
If you wish to use Ubuntu as your main distribution and do not care about Microsoft anymore, I would recommend doing a clean install og Ubuntu remix 10.04 as it will repartition your drive correctly without to much troubles (choose the option 'Erase everything and use Entire Disk').

**Do a Full backup of your file before doing so. (for Ubuntu, copy whole /home folder )**

If not, you can always upgrade using the update manager and delete your Windows partition later and resize Ubuntu with the space you gained (do a backup first here as well).

Hope this helps.

themuseman
September 6th, 2010, 11:54 PM
So ... are you saying that if I let the Update Manager do the update, it will know not to do a Desktop update, but it will do a Netbook Remix update instead? ... I just want to be sure it will do the Netbook Remix software update.

themuseman

e79
September 7th, 2010, 12:57 AM
I honestly never tried to upgrade the Netbook remix myself but I'm confident that the package manager can handle it without problems, since it should only download what you have installed; see Kerry_S comment : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1492788 (though apparently some people had a hard time with the upgrade).

But as he recommends and so did I, if you are to only keep Ubuntu, a fresh install with a prior backup is the best solution. ;)