PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Reports on 10.04

ex-para
September 6th, 2010, 07:08 PM
I have read some reports on 10.04 and they are not to good, I have used 8.04 for a few years with no problems at all but a newish laptop has come into my possession that will not boot up with Hardy although the boot order is correct. Intrepid will boot OK but I thought I would go for a more up to date version so is 10.04 a good idea?

ronparent
September 6th, 2010, 07:36 PM
It depends on your needs. Inevitably an older distro ages to the point that it is no longer supported and may not run well on newer hardware. Although with enough knowledge it is probably fixable, the effort may not be worth it. Your best bet may be to try running 10.04 as a live cd to spot possible incompatibilities with your newer hardware and just to see how you like it.

If you have a lot of data you need to transfer to a newer system you should be able to backup and restore. Also you could always setup a separate /home drive to ease the pain of some of the future upgrades to your system. I personally find 10.04 more attractive than 8.04 and the upcoming 10.10 even more so. But, this is an individual preference based on my own needs and may not reflect yours. Whatever you decide is probably valid for you. Best of luck.

presence1960
September 6th, 2010, 08:08 PM
Out of curiosity can you post links to those "reports" please.

ex-para
September 7th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Thanks ronparent, I have all main stuff I need on google docs so I would not need to do any transferring and I would try it out first before installing which is is what I will do as I did not realise I could do this.

presence 1960 I can't remember the websites where I saw the reports but I just type in search, reports on 10.04. One report said if you just won't to turn you computer on and use it every day 10.04 is not for you.

presence1960
September 7th, 2010, 11:29 AM
presence 1960 I can't remember the websites where I saw the reports but I just type in search, reports on 10.04. One report said if you just won't to turn you computer on and use it every day 10.04 is not for you.

That is a ludicrous statement. Is 10.04 for just once a month use only? Remember to not believe everything you read without investigating. I have not seen any complaints in here about 10.04 not working properly if you turn your computer on everyday. That is funny!

jrev
September 7th, 2010, 11:35 AM
I work on Ubuntu 10.04 since may and after a lot of problems the version 10.04.1 seems to be reliable now :p

TNT1
September 7th, 2010, 11:38 AM
. One report said if you just won't to turn you computer on and use it every day 10.04 is not for you.

What? You mean I haven't actually had 10.04 in daily use on three machines for 5 months or so now? What? Was I actually drunk for half the year?

Please show us these "reports"...

ronparent
September 7th, 2010, 03:47 PM
ex-para - Don't be put off by sometimes extreme reactions to any suggestion that a distro has faults. The perception is influence by how it runs on each individuals hardware and on what software might be installed. Besides, if there are glitches they will probably be reported and fixed after a couple of update cycles. Just try it and see how it works for you.

ex-para
September 8th, 2010, 05:59 PM
Thanks ronparent, I don't know what is the matter with the other two I have read what I have read and for a start it will not connect to wireless without hassle as I am finding out.

ronparent
September 8th, 2010, 07:39 PM
Have a look at the Networking & Wireless Forum. You may find your problem posted or you can post and get some informed advice.