PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] need help in taking the first step towards installing stuff

mrwicked
September 6th, 2010, 07:06 PM
hi! i have recently upgraded to ubuntu 10.04 from ubuntu 8.10. i wasn't very good with previous version too. like many others,i'm a noob.anyways,
i wanted to know, what packages do i need to install in order to install build-essential package and other softwares in the form of tar.gz or tar.bz2. do these packages come with the dekstop edition cd. i don't have internet connection on my ubuntu laptop.
please give me a list of basic packages that i would need and if possible ,also give me the download source.thanx!!:)

Ozymandias_117
September 6th, 2010, 07:11 PM
hi! i have recently upgraded to ubuntu 10.04 from ubuntu 8.10. i wasn't very good with previous version too. like many others,i'm a noob.anyways,
i wanted to know, what packages do i need to install in order to install build-essential package and other softwares in the form of tar.gz or tar.bz2. do these packages come with the dekstop edition cd. i don't have internet connection on my ubuntu laptop.
please give me a list of basic packages that i would need and if possible ,also give me the download source.thanx!!:)

Pop your disk in, browse to pool/main/b/ (on the cd) extract build-essential*.deb and double click on it.