PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Most Drivers not available - HELP

KasRoth
September 6th, 2010, 07:05 PM
Hello! I just upgraded to 10.04 - the Lucid Lynx

Somehow I made a mistake (I'm a new user) And now I am getting an error that reads "Downloading package indexes failed, please check your network status. Most drivers will not be available."

When I look at Hardware Drivers it tells me that "No proprietary drivers are in use on this system"

Looking at the network I have a folder for "Windows Network" and if I click on it the message I get says "Failed to retrieve share list from server"

I'm not exactly sure where to go from here, any help or links at all would be appreciated.

KasRoth
September 7th, 2010, 09:38 PM
I ended up fixing my problems. Now I have to figure out how to blackberry tether and get an antivirus on.

howefield
September 7th, 2010, 11:24 PM
Now I have to figure out how to blackberry tether and get an antivirus on.

Don't know about blackberry tethering but the anti virus can be sorted by downloading a .deb package and double clicking to install. There is clamtk in the Ubuntu repository, seems to be mixed support for it. YMMV.

I'd recommend Bitdefender for Unices, but there are plenty others.

Just in case you are installing anti virus because you think you need it, there is every chance you don't.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Antivirus

Hobgoblin
September 7th, 2010, 11:55 PM
I ended up fixing my problems. Now I have to figure out how to blackberry tether

You could try just plugging it in, works with my Nokias.

KasRoth
September 11th, 2010, 06:52 PM
Don't know about blackberry tethering but the anti virus can be sorted by downloading a .deb package and double clicking to install. There is clamtk in the Ubuntu repository, seems to be mixed support for it. YMMV.

I'd recommend Bitdefender for Unices, but there are plenty others.

Just in case you are installing anti virus because you think you need it, there is every chance you don't.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Antivirus

Sadly, I know I don't need an anti-virus but my Uni's computer system is 100% sure that I need AVG or it won't let me on the wireless network. It's ridiculous as one of the reasons I wanted to try Ubuntu to begin with was that it would be a more secure network.

KasRoth
September 11th, 2010, 06:55 PM
You could try just plugging it in, works with my Nokias.

It didn't, I think there's a deb package that I need, but I can't find any walkthroughs that are just for the 10.04 LTS Lucid Lynx edition.