PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help understanding program installation 10.04

ubu newb
September 6th, 2010, 05:40 PM
I am trying to install a program on to Ubuntu 10.04. Its called Gempak 5.11 and it is a weather software. Not sure if it works but I'd like to try it out. Problem I am having is understanding the editing and verifying settings.

Within my home directory I have created another directory called gempak.

rick@rick-U:~/gempak$ and unpacked with

I unpacked the tar.gz into the above using:gunzip -c gempak_upc5.11.4.tar.gz |tar -xvf- and now I am stuck at what to do next. The file I downloaded is the source code distribution.

Here are the instructions: http://tinyurl.com/2epn3sf

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

sikander3786
September 6th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Extract the package and it should have a "Read Me" or "Install" file with instructions.

Further more this thread might help.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=246092

And at last, I will recommend that you install all the software from the repositories. There are many weather applets available for Ubuntu in the repositories. Consider them.

Right Click on a panel, select "Add to panel" and type "Weather" in the dialogue box. That is what I use.

androiddev
September 6th, 2010, 06:02 PM
From your position in the instructions, you need to configure as needed and run make. That's what I gather from reading the remaining instructions.

ubu newb
September 6th, 2010, 09:40 PM
And at last, I will recommend that you install all the software from the repositories. There are many weather applets available for Ubuntu in the repositories. Consider them.

Completely different program than what is available from the repositories.

From your position in the instructions, you need to configure as needed and run make. That's what I gather from reading the remaining instructions.

That I understand. It's the how I don't understand. I am not sure what they want me to do editing those files.