PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] AC/DC Inverters and Laptops

Steve00
September 6th, 2010, 04:40 PM
What has been folks' experience with AC/DC inverters? I've read conflicting opinions on using them with laptops. I've got a Toshiba Satellite E205 and an HP1100 and need a way to charge them in the car. I'd rather avoid having to have a different car adapter for each laptop. I've looked at several inverters at big-box stores and getting one with sufficient wattage is not a problem. However, I have heard of circumstances where they don't play nice with laptops (or vice versa).

Thanks.

--Steve

73ckn797
September 6th, 2010, 05:06 PM
I have used several. One was a 150 watt and it just quit after 3 years. I then bought a 140watt but it was not enough and actually started to melt. It was a self contained unit with the power socket plug integral with the unit. I now have one that is 400 watts and it also has a built in fan. It also will shut off if there is low battery voltage in the car. Usually that would be due to extended use without the engine running.

I have not had any problems with the Toshiba laptop when using any of the inverters.

bouncingwilf
September 6th, 2010, 06:19 PM
Buy a dc/dc converter from Maplins(UK) or similar. 12V in 14-22v out (selectable) with a choice of plugs.

Usually around £20 but occasionally <£5.00 70W output - higher wattages are available.

bouncingwilf

73ckn797
September 6th, 2010, 07:52 PM
If you are in the USA look here: http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/OSS0/7444.oap?keyword=inverter

This is the one I now have.