PDA

View Full Version : Pretty Lights

digitalcitizenx
September 6th, 2010, 02:34 PM
So I own a 2006 GMC 1500 pick up truck. I also live in Texas.

When turning on my high beam head lamps, the low beams turn off. There is a kit available that would run the low beam lights while the high beams are on, but it is $50 on the internet and you only get a relay and a couple of wires.

So I find another forum that addresses this concern directly - even gave a .pdf file to help you wire the truck to turn on lights besides the high beams while the high beams are on.

It simply explains how to trip the other relays from the high beam relay. In other words, click the switch that turns on the high beam lights and also trip the relays for the other lights that you want/need lit for better night time vision and safety while motoring at night or other low light situations.

digitalcitizenx
September 6th, 2010, 06:08 PM
So I found the fusebox for the truck under the hood.

When I removed the lid there is a diagram under the top of the lid.

I located the relays I needed to tap into and used fuse tap adapters pushed into the appropriate pins of the relays.

I simply used diodes to go between the connectors of the relays and connected everything with spade connectors.

I only used two diodes and three spade connectors, and I now have low beams and fog lights on when the high beams are on, allowing better forward vision while driving at night.

Also this allows me to select the fog lights separately when the low beams are on and when I really don't need that much lighting, like when driving in the city.

If I had installed another diode from the fog lamp relay to the low beam light relay I would have fog lamps on when low beams AND high beams were on.

Another mod would have been to wire the day time running lights into the high beam mod to have all forward lighting on when brights are selected.

This concludes my story of how I hacked my truck this labor day weekend. Simple but effective.

Total cost: two diodes, three spade connectors, three fuse tap devices and shrink tubing:

about $2.00

uRock
September 6th, 2010, 06:23 PM
I hope you have installed a higher grade alternator. I also hope you do not plan to turn them on while in traffic as that is illegal and rude.

Rasa1111
September 6th, 2010, 06:28 PM
I hope you have installed a higher grade alternator. I also hope you do not plan to turn them on while in traffic as that is illegal and rude.

I was thinking the same.
Both of those thoughts actually.
+1

digitalcitizenx
September 6th, 2010, 06:59 PM
The light only pull a minimum amount of amperage - would one install a higher amp alternator after installing aftermarket fog lights or a simple 100 watt amp to your car stereo?

I think not.

And where did you get the idea that I would turn on the lights in traffic - and for that matter - the low beams and fog lights are normal lighting anyway - why would it be more blinding?

In the above post I stated clearly that I performed this mod because I need/want more lighting for low light country driving in early morning or after sundown.

There is nothing illegal here and I was merely sharing my labor day weekend activities that had nothing to do with computers or operating systems.

I hack and modify everything I own and this was simply one of the many activities I participate in every weekend.

Rasa1111
September 6th, 2010, 07:03 PM
The light only pull a minimum amount of amperage - would one install a higher amp alternator after installing aftermarket fog lights or a simple 100 watt amp to your car stereo?

Good point.

either way, well done.
I woulda been lost at those diagrams I think.
yea.... I would have been... :lol:

and for 2 bucks?
compared to 50? haha
can't beat it!
:)