PDA

View Full Version : I want to learn how to implement a GUI

Søren
September 6th, 2010, 05:31 AM
in c++. i dont mean something like QT or gtk where you are passing code to prebuilt widgets. I want to know how those sort of things are implemented. Like drawing the whole thing and building it up from a really low level. how would i go about this?

d3v1150m471c
September 6th, 2010, 05:43 AM
it's all libraries. find a library you want to use, lol like gtk, and find a tutorial. most things work with C++

schauerlich
September 6th, 2010, 05:49 AM
in c++. i dont mean something like QT or gtk where you are passing code to prebuilt widgets. I want to know how those sort of things are implemented. Like drawing the whole thing and building it up from a really low level. how would i go about this?

Read the source code.

nvteighen
September 6th, 2010, 09:13 AM

In GNU/Linux, that would lead you to X lib. The widget toolkits are implemented on top of that (plus some other stuff like threading, signal systems, etc.).

MarkieB
September 6th, 2010, 09:39 AM
no longer participating in ubuntuforums.org

juancarlospaco
September 6th, 2010, 03:13 PM
XLibs, or if you use TK you can try TCL

StephenF
September 8th, 2010, 12:37 AM
Xine-ui uses XLib directly therefore I recommend you look at the source.

hakermania
September 8th, 2010, 11:27 AM
In Qt you can create all your own widgets as you wish

nvteighen
September 8th, 2010, 02:46 PM
In Qt you can create all your own widgets as you wish

As in GTK+, though it is a bit more difficult because GTK+ is C and C structs make inheritance a little harder. But, in PyGtk this is quite easy (and even recommended).

hakermania
September 8th, 2010, 08:09 PM
What about PyQt?

mmix
September 9th, 2010, 02:57 AM
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/235826/learning-about-low-level-graphics-programming/235838#235838

HTH