PDA

View Full Version : The Mosquito drone nosie attack on youth

sdowney717
September 6th, 2010, 04:47 AM
http://www.movingsoundtech.com/

So, at what level do you hear the sound as a test on your hearing? The idea is only younger people will hear the noise and it will drive them off.

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/US/09/03/district.of.columbia.noisemaker/index.html#fbid=Xu9f_YFc3fX&wom=false

TheNerdAL
September 6th, 2010, 04:51 AM
http://www.movingsoundtech.com/

So, at what level do you hear the sound as a test on your hearing? The idea is only younger people will hear the noise and it will drive them off.

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/US/09/03/district.of.columbia.noisemaker/index.html#fbid=Xu9f_YFc3fX&wom=false

MY EARS!!!!!! Seriously though, don't test the sounds with a high volume. -_____-

Brent0
September 6th, 2010, 05:03 AM
I can hear only 35 and under. Anything higher than that is inaudible and only I'm 17. Maybe it's because I tried the first one with the volume really high and I was temporarily deaf. :p

sdowney717
September 6th, 2010, 05:05 AM
or you have some hearing loss already due to listening to very loud music?

TheNerdAL
September 6th, 2010, 05:16 AM
If I lose my hearing, I'm sueing you! :lolflag: j/k

Brent0
September 6th, 2010, 05:32 AM
or you have some hearing loss already due to listening to very loud music?

I don't listen to my music loud though. I've been to concerts that were uncomfortably loud but that's it.
I guess being a drummer doesn't help either. :p

Elfy
September 6th, 2010, 07:15 AM
mmm - I can hear the 18KHz only - I am a lot older than 25 ;)

Woke my daughter though - she's a lot younger than 17 :D an excellent alarm it seems

julio_cortez
September 6th, 2010, 07:47 AM
I've just turned 25 and I barely could hear the 18KHz one (I hear a kind of "click" when it starts but the noise itself sounds so weak that I quite don't notice it).
The 17KHz one is one of the most annoying sounds I can recall, though.

schtufbox
September 6th, 2010, 09:19 AM
I could hear thr 18khz, not bad as I'm 35 and quitye often listen to loud music, and make loud music too!
One of the guys I work with is 54, he could hear 13khz..just!

barbedsaber
September 6th, 2010, 09:49 AM
I can hear all of them, and I always turn my music up all the way (16 years old)

however, I take massive offense to the discrimination of this technology.
just because we're young, doesn't mean we're robbing you, or mugging someone, or doing drugs or anything, sometimes we just like to hang around.
If they played sounds to annoy everyone it wouldn't be as bad, but this id active and thought out discrimination against young people, and I'm not ok with that

pwnst*r
September 6th, 2010, 05:18 PM
I can hear all of them, and I always turn my music up all the way (16 years old)

I believe you.

rox retro
September 6th, 2010, 06:36 PM
Because I suffer from tinnitus I have to endure something similar to the output of the Mosquito all the time. I would rather be exposed to short term irritation than a lifetime of high pitched screams and whistles with no respite or relief. :(

Dr. C
September 6th, 2010, 06:56 PM

however, I take massive offense to the discrimination of this technology.
just because we're young, doesn't mean we're robbing you, or mugging someone, or doing drugs or anything, sometimes we just like to hang around.
If they played sounds to annoy everyone it wouldn't be as bad, but this id active and thought out discrimination against young people, and I'm not ok with that

I agree with you. The device is highly offensive and should be banned. It is most certainly not a solution to street crime. By the way I am over the age of 50.

koenn
September 6th, 2010, 07:46 PM
strange. I can hear all of the frequencies, while according to the age scale, I should only hear half of them.

angryfirelord
September 6th, 2010, 07:59 PM
The problem with these types of tests is that you may get a false negative with the speaker or headphone that you have. A tiny earbud is obviously not going to be able to replicate the higher frequencies very well. I have a good 2.1 Altec Lansing setup which can play them (and I can hear them), but if you can't hear it, check your equipment first.

Edit: Plus, we're using flash, which uses mp3 encoding for the audio. Mp3 typically doesn't do well above 15 khz or something like that. So the 16, 17, and 18 samples could be wrong.