September 6th, 2010, 02:17 AM
What are your thoughts?

http://bit.ly/d3aUXb

TheNerdAL
September 6th, 2010, 02:36 AM
I love it. :D

smellyman
September 6th, 2010, 02:42 AM
I think it is a dang good release actually. Amazing they have done so much considering how it seeems 10.04 just came out. It looks (other than orange splotches:) ) great and performs really well.

BJones007
September 6th, 2010, 02:45 AM
I love it. :D
Downloading as we speak :D

cariboo
September 6th, 2010, 02:57 AM
Be aware, there are quite a few problems with the beta. Some folks are having problems with Nvidia graphics, other people are having a hard time creating usb drives, and if you want to put grub anywhere else but the mbr, you have to choose manual partitioning.

Just because this is the beta release, it doesn't mean it is ready for everyone to use, if you can't fix problems on your own, it may be wise to wait fro the RC.

I would suggestion you look through the threads in Marerick Meerkat testing & Discussion (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=385) to see what types of problems are popping up. Also make sure you have a Launchpad account so you can report any bugs you run into.

TheNerdAL
September 6th, 2010, 03:09 AM
Be aware, there are quite a few problems with the beta. Some folks are having problems with Nvidia graphics, other people are having a hard time creating usb drives, and if you want to put grub anywhere else but the mbr, you have to choose manual partitioning.

Just because this is the beta release, it doesn't mean it is ready for everyone to use, if you can't fix problems on your own, it may be wise to wait fro the RC.

I would suggestion you look through the threads in Marerick Meerkat testing & Discussion (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=385) to see what types of problems are popping up. Also make sure you have a Launchpad account so you can report any bugs you run into.

I agree. So far I am one of the lucky ones with only minor bugs. :P

BJones007
September 6th, 2010, 03:09 AM
Wow dude, way to go bursting my bubble -_- lol but thanks for that though, I'll wait for the official release next month

NMFTM
September 6th, 2010, 03:34 AM
What are your thoughts?

http://bit.ly/d3aUXb
1. Altered GUI
2. MP3 decoder option by default even though regular installation can be done by installing a single meta-package (ubuntu-restricted-extras)
3. Something about album artwork (yawn)
4. Multitouch support (don't have a multitouch device)
5. Updated Ubuntu Software Center, even though Synaptic (for people who like GUI's) and Aptitude (for people who like CLI's) are already far more powerful.

Besides the standard reason for upgrading. Which are the fact that you get newer versions of apps where (theoretically) more bugs are fixed. I don't really see anything in that article that makes me any more excited about the new release than I am about the old one. Don't get me wrong, I eagerly await each new release, usually have it installed within a week of it being released, and think each release is an improvement over the previous. Unlike many people who spam the forums about every one of the past X released being crappy despite the fact that they're still here and not on another distro's forum.

But out of the 5 things that article said about the main non-netbook release. Only one of them (multitouch support) was anything of a technical nature. Even though there probably are enough technical improvements and bugfixes to warrant writing an article 3x that length on.

In fact, they could probably just rebrand 10.04 with a new iconset and slightly tweaked color scheme and you'd have people saying how they just finished installing their torrented copy of the new release and how it's such an improvement over the old one and that they can't wait for the stable to be released in a few months.

Just goes to show that the things people care about are pretty far removed from the things that actually matter.

marl30
September 6th, 2010, 03:50 AM
1. Altered GUI
2. MP3 decoder option by default even though regular installation can be done by installing a single meta-package (ubuntu-restricted-extras)
3. Something about album artwork (yawn)
4. Multitouch support (don't have a multitouch device)
5. Updated Ubuntu Software Center, even though Synaptic (for people who like GUI's) and Aptitude (for people who like CLI's) are already far more powerful.

Besides the standard reason for upgrading. Which are the fact that you get newer versions of apps where (theoretically) more bugs are fixed. I don't really see anything in that article that makes me any more excited about the new release than I am about the old one. Don't get me wrong, I eagerly await each new release, usually have it installed within a week of it being released, and think each release is an improvement over the previous. Unlike many people who spam the forums about every one of the past X released being crappy despite the fact that they're still here and not on another distro's forum.

But out of the 5 things that article said about the main non-netbook release. Only one of them (multitouch support) was anything of a technical nature. Even though there probably are enough technical improvements and bugfixes to warrant writing an article 3x that length on.

In fact, they could probably just rebrand 10.04 with a new iconset and slightly tweaked color scheme and you'd have people saying how they just finished installing their torrented copy of the new release and how it's such an improvement over the old one and that they can't wait for the stable to be released in a few months.

Just goes to show that the things people care about are pretty far removed from the things that actually matter.

I have 10.10 theme on 10.04, and you can hardly notice the difference between the two. I wasn't as fortunate as some who said they only experienced miner bugs when I tried 10.10. I had things crashing and bug reports popping up all over. I'm content to wait until the release day. Right now 10.04 is at its most stable point, especially since the .04.1 update came out.

rob22941
September 6th, 2010, 04:17 AM
Like it, love it. ):P

Linye
September 6th, 2010, 04:23 AM
So where do I find the 10.04.1 iso now?

cariboo
September 6th, 2010, 05:57 AM
Try the usual place:

http://releases.ubuntu.com

and select your version.

Linye
September 6th, 2010, 06:04 AM
Thanks! Didn't know that place. Bookmarked now.