PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] AVI to DVD's

Jonny87
September 6th, 2010, 01:33 AM
My Dad who I have just gotten on to Ubuntu is wanting to burn some some avi videos onto a DVD, but wants them in a DVD format though so that he can play them on any type of dvd player.

I got him to install k3b and try that but as I've never had to do this I'm not sure my self how to do it so this leads me to ask;

Can it be done?
Can K3b do it?
And if so, how?

howefield
September 6th, 2010, 01:51 AM
Can it be done?

Sure

Can K3b do it?

Sure

And if so, how?

Actually, rather than K3b I'd recommend an application called Devede.

DeVeDe is a program to create video DVDs, suitables for home players, from
any number of video files, in any of the formats supported by Mplayer.

It allows user to create subtitles and even menus.

MartyBuntu
September 6th, 2010, 02:12 AM
I second the nomination for DeVeDe.:)

Jonny87
September 6th, 2010, 02:20 AM
Sure

Sure

Actually, rather than K3b I'd recommend an application called Devede.

Ok thanks, I've just installed it on my own system as it sounds like a handy little program and so I can talk my dad through it over the Comp if needs help with it. It doesn't look to complicated. I'm guessing to do what he's wanting to do its a matter of selecting "Video DVD" then add the files (the avi's) that he wants to burn the go "Forward"? does that sound about right?

howefield
September 6th, 2010, 01:31 PM
Ok thanks, I've just installed it on my own system as it sounds like a handy little program and so I can talk my dad through it over the Comp if needs help with it. It doesn't look to complicated. I'm guessing to do what he's wanting to do its a matter of selecting "Video DVD" then add the files (the avi's) that he wants to burn the go "Forward"? does that sound about right?

Pretty much, there are a wealth of options to be investigated, but taking the defaults should give you a good DVD.

Select Video DVD, add the files and change the Titles to suit using the Properties button, ((you can burn several films on to one DVD).

Select whether you want PAL or NTSC and adjust disc usage if required. Sometimes it will show as more than 100%, but I have never seen it produce a file that is actually too big to fit on a DVD.

Then press forward. You'll produce an .iso file that you will then burn to DVD using your favourite disc burning software.

alphacrucis2
September 6th, 2010, 02:03 PM
Another option is qdvdauthor