PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] kde4: xterms start in Documents ?!?!

gallatin_drew
September 5th, 2010, 10:46 PM
Hi,

Let me preface this by saying I'm a dinosaur; I've been using X for 22 years.. I'm using KDE because it allows me to customize my window management more than Gnome. I come from a background of TWM, CTWM, and then the various KDE versions. I recently upgraded my main desktop from hardy to lucid, and kde4 is a bit strange to me, and I'm looking for some tips to make the transition less painful.

First, my session-managed xterms seem to start with a $PWD=$HOME/Documents when I login. I really want them to start in $HOME. Where can I adjust this? I've managed to figure out how to get rid of this nonsense in quicklaunch, but I don't know where session managed xterms are started from.

I also have one of these silly 16:9 monitors, so I have a lot more horizontal space to waste on icon managers than vertical space, so I like to put my panel on the left edge of the screen. Is there any way to make the taskmanager use the text from a window's titlebar rather than the icon? I've looked at a few replacement taskmanagers, and none seem to give as much information when run vertically as the kde3.5 taskmanager did

Thanks for the help,

Drew

gallatin_drew
September 5th, 2010, 11:06 PM
Hi,
First, my session-managed xterms seem to start with a $PWD=$HOME/Documents when I login. I really want them to start in $HOME. Where can I adjust this? I've managed to figure out how to get rid of this nonsense in quicklaunch, but I don't know where session managed xterms are started from.

I managed to finally figure this out.. If I just Go into "System Settings -> About me -> Paths" and change the documents path to /home/gallatin, things are back to normal.

I'm still interested in pointers to a vertical-friendly task manager.

Thanks,

Drew