PDA

View Full Version : I was looking at website GZip compression and...

James78
September 5th, 2010, 09:55 PM
This website feels a little slow at times, so I checked if this site was GZip compressed, and it's not! 100kb normal forum topic listing, and it could be compressed 80% to 20kb! Faster downloading for the users, and less bandwidth usage for the server! I was quite surprised when I found this...

Link for reference..
http://www.gidnetwork.com/tools/gzip-test.php

... And enter a URL to one of these pages.

Bachstelze
September 6th, 2010, 06:34 AM
gzip compression would put additional load on the CPU. I don't think we need that right now.

James78
September 6th, 2010, 11:27 AM
gzip compression would put additional load on the CPU. I don't think we need that right now.
I am aware of that, although usually the extra load is worthit for the bandwidth saved, and faster browsing for users. Either way, it depends on the server. Still though, it'd be much faster browsing huh? ;)

Bachstelze
September 6th, 2010, 12:17 PM
I am aware of that, although usually the extra load is worthit for the bandwidth saved, and faster browsing for users.

Usually. Here, the CPU is already working close to full load. Add the load of gzipping millions of pages per day, and you bring it to its knees, meaning no browsing for anyone.

James78
September 6th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Usually. Here, the CPU is already working close to full load. Add the load of gzipping millions of pages per day, and you bring it to its knees, meaning no browsing for anyone.
Haha ya.

worseisworser
September 6th, 2010, 04:55 PM
Huh? This site is actually CPU-bound?

I don't know too much about PHP, but I recall there being some compiler/cache thing available for it?

Bachstelze
September 6th, 2010, 05:03 PM
Huh? This site is actually CPU-bound?

The load average is constantly well above one.