PDA

View Full Version : Refurbished Computer vs New

TheNerdAL
September 5th, 2010, 08:53 PM
So it's time to retire my old computer. And I want a new computer. I just don't know what to get.

A refurbished one or a new one.

I love to save the environment since my birthday is on Earth Day but wouldn't have have like scratches and stuff? o.o

What should I Get? And explain if you'd like.

Thanks.:)

tadcan
September 5th, 2010, 09:06 PM
It really depends on what you use the computer for. If it is just web browsing, write documents and watch video then getting a refurbished computer is probably fine. I have a laptop with dual core 1.8 ghz and it runs fine for that kind of use.

qalimas
September 5th, 2010, 09:10 PM
Refurbished could have dieing parts, and won't always have a warranty depending on where you get it. You'd be better off with a new one (even if it's a cheap $300 PC)

TheNerdAL
It really depends on what you use the computer for. If it is just web browsing, write documents and watch video then getting a refurbished computer is probably fine. I have a laptop with dual core 1.8 ghz and it runs fine for that kind of use.

Video editing and animation. By the way, it's a Mac I'm buying.(Don't beat me up! D:)

This is the one I want: http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB952?mco=MTM3NDgzMzI#overview

Paqman
What should I Get?

Some new innards for your old machine, and assemble it yourself. Why buy stuff like cases, hard drives, and optical drives over and over when you have perfectly good ones already?

dirghrabadia
September 5th, 2010, 09:12 PM
Most refurbished electronics are like processed to make them look like new, without much noticeable scratches and stuff. And like tadcan suggests, it really depends on your computing needs.

valbaca
September 5th, 2010, 09:30 PM
If you want a "green" laptop, check out the Lenovo Thinkpad L Series (L412 & L512)

drawkcab
September 5th, 2010, 09:36 PM
I bought a refurb eeepc and it's been really awesome. The thing is that I knew that 99.9% of those returns were not due to hardware issues but to the fact that folks hated Xandros Linux. Pretty safe bet.

Do some research and see if the price drop is worth taking a risk on the issues that are associated with that model.

Paqman
September 5th, 2010, 09:38 PM
I bought a refurb eeepc and it's been really awesome.

+1

You can get EeePCs for a song now, and they're fantastic little machines.

arvevans
September 6th, 2010, 01:52 AM
Refurbished units have proven parts, where a new unit may suffer from "infant mortality"! Of course you want to be sure that the refurbisher put in enough silicon grease to keep all those old parts lubricated.

Dustin2128
September 6th, 2010, 03:23 AM
I love to save the environment since my birthday is on Earth Day but wouldn't have have like scratches and stuff? o.o

Your not consuming beef (weren't you a vegetarian?) compensates enough to build yourself a new computer, and then some. Its far cheaper than buying new because you only get components you want, plus if you want to look at it from an environmental standpoint, newer components are far more power efficient. I recommend newegg (http://www.newegg.com).

Brent0
September 6th, 2010, 06:03 AM
Well, with the budget you have, you could build a PC at least 3x better than the Mac. (Assuming the refurbished Mac is at the budget you wanted). Get Windows 7 and a nice video editor like something from Adobe and you're set. Don't get caught up in the pretty aluminum and hype of Macs.

If you want to build a PC just PM me or create a post in The Cafe and I'll help pick out parts.

TheNerdAL
September 6th, 2010, 06:13 AM
Your not consuming beef (weren't you a vegetarian?) compensates enough to build yourself a new computer, and then some. Its far cheaper than buying new because you only get components you want, plus if you want to look at it from an environmental standpoint, newer components are far more power efficient. I recommend newegg (http://www.newegg.com).

I still am and how did you know? o.o

Dustin2128
September 6th, 2010, 06:13 AM
I still am and how did you know? o.o
posted it on another thread not too long ago

Madspyman
September 6th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Well, with the budget you have, you could build a PC at least 3x better than the Mac. (Assuming the refurbished Mac is at the budget you wanted). Get Windows 7 and a nice video editor like something from Adobe and you're set. Don't get caught up in the pretty aluminum and hype of Macs.

If you want to build a PC just PM me or create a post in The Cafe and I'll help pick out parts.

+1

This is a new PC with way better specs for less than that used Mac.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_can_series.do?storeName=computer_store&category=desktops&a1=Category&v1=High+performance&series_name=HPE380t_series&jumpid=in_R329_prodexp/hhoslp/psg/desktops/High_performance/HPE380t_series

Also

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/series_can.do?storeName=computer_store&landing=desktops&a1=Category&v1=High+performance&jumpid=in_R329_prodexp/hhoslp/psg/desktops/High_performance

Johnsie
September 6th, 2010, 09:59 AM
I go refurb every time. I always make sure there is some kind of warranty though. You can usually get the same hardware at a better price. Some refurbs are actually new machines. It pays to shop around.

tadcan
September 6th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Power efficiency and a powerful specs are not compatible. Efficiency normally comes from having less intensive parts. For e.g a 5400rpm h/d is more efficient then a 7200rpm, but 5400rpm is to slow to write video data to a h/d.

I do video editing on my desktop. Its a quadcore 2.6Ghz, with a 800 Nvida graphics card that I edit HDV footage with at full res. My friend has a 2.4Ghz and does animation and effects and rendering is slow.

If you are going to do mostly animation and effects, rendering then getting an i7 is probably the best way to go. For the same money as that mac you can get a very powerful machine. The pro's who do that kind of work spend 5/10 thousand on high end mac's.

DemonBob
September 6th, 2010, 11:27 AM
I usually go refurbish.

Dell/HP/Etc. Push out 1000's of new machine a day. Because of them pushing out as many machines as they do, they do not do a proper burn-in to the system. What i mean by burn in is stress test, and benchmarking for at least 2 days to make sure nothing is going to fry or be DOA on arrival.

Refurbish on the other hand, they actuality take the time to figure out what is wrong with the machine and send it out. It might take a week for them to completely diagnose the issue. Once they find the issue, they replace the part, then do test on it to make sure the problem does not persist.

I use to work at a company that was outsource by hp to do their support and refurbish. I can tell you, the guys in the depot cared about making sure the issue was fixed before putting a refurbish label on it. on top of that, you get the same warranty options with refurbished machines.

Dixon Bainbridge
September 6th, 2010, 02:18 PM
I know from experience of being a photographer that refurbished cameras are better than brand new. Refurbished cameras go through more stringent testing than brand new camera's leaving the factory. Not sure if its the same with computers. I recently bought a refurbished camera and it had undergone over 90 tests before going back on sale. Any faulty parts replaced. I got it for 50% less than a brand new one, and it came with a 1 year warranty, same as a new one would, Win-Win.

t0p
September 6th, 2010, 03:05 PM
I own a refurb and and a brand-new machine; and neither have given me any trouble (yet).

Just look at the specs and make sure you get a valid warranty. If you live locally to the place where the refurbishment is actually done, see if it's ok for you to tour the workshop. But that isn't necessary.

As for "scratches and stuff": my refurb looked just fine when I got it. If appearance is really important to you, call the refurbishers and ask them if their machines look as-new.

Khakilang
September 7th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Throwing away your old computer and buy a refurbish one doesn't help the environment. Unless you got use for the 2 computer. Since you are tired of your old computer, why buy another old refurbish computer? Of course if you are looking into something different like MAC or Sun Spark workstation.

asifnaz
November 28th, 2011, 05:49 PM
Throwing away your old computer and buy a refurbish one doesn't help the environment. Unless you got use for the 2 computer. Since you are tired of your old computer, why buy another old refurbish computer? Of course if you are looking into something different like MAC or Sun Spark workstation.

well dont throw your computer just give it to some charity

coffeecat
November 28th, 2011, 10:00 PM
Thread necromanced by spam (now removed), so closed.