PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Disable multimedia permissions.

abominable
September 5th, 2010, 05:23 PM
Hello to everyone.

I am looking if possible for a way to disable multimedia permission/abilities for certain users on my system. I don't know if it is called like this, but what I actually I want to do is this.

There are certain users on my system, that I want them to have the permission for using graphic interface, but not the permission/ability to watch videos, play music, etc.

Is there any way to manage this;

Thank you in advance for any help.

garvinrick4
September 5th, 2010, 06:10 PM
Hello to everyone.

I am looking if possible for a way to disable multimedia permission/abilities for certain users on my system. I don't know if it is called like this, but what I actually I want to do is this.

There are certain users on my system, that I want them to have the permission for using graphic interface, but not the permission/ability to watch videos, play music, etc.

Is there any way to manage this;

Thank you in advance for any help.Give those directorys only permissions to
certain users or groups. Read up on chown and chmod and users and groups. I take it you
are root or administrator. Lots of reading material to google or pdf manuals to download.
Or man chmod or man chown.

abominable
September 5th, 2010, 07:07 PM
Thanx, I'll check on these commands, but for which directories should I be looking for ?

garvinrick4
September 5th, 2010, 08:13 PM
Thanx, I'll check on these commands, but for which directories should I be looking for ? The directorys in your home.

rick@rick-laptop:~$ ls
Desktop Downloads Mac4Lin_v1.0 Pictures Templates
Documents examples.desktop Music Public Videos
rick@rick-laptop:~$

You want to not let some users in these directorys correct.

abominable
September 5th, 2010, 08:18 PM
Well, I don't have concerns about accesing my files (I have them locked). But what I dont want, is them to turn the server into a home cinema station. So I want to restrain them from opening mplayer/vlc etc.

I know that the best would be to talk to them, but believe me this is not an option.