PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Virgin MiFi

boondocks
September 5th, 2010, 09:12 AM
Has anyone tried this Virgin MiFi (hotspot) via WiFi with a Ubuntu laptop?

Unlimited data plan (no 5-gigabyte data limit)
No contract
$40 per month
3G speed

The device itself costs $150.
How is it? Reliable?

I came across it at:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/02/technology/personaltech/02pogue.html?_r=1&sq=virgin%20MiFi

ddettore
September 16th, 2010, 06:09 PM
Has anyone tried this Virgin MiFi (hotspot) via WiFi with a Ubuntu laptop?

Unlimited data plan (no 5-gigabyte data limit)
No contract
$40 per month
3G speed

The device itself costs $150.
How is it? Reliable?

I came across it at:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/02/technology/personaltech/02pogue.html?_r=1&sq=virgin%20MiFi

You might check out walmart - It is a little cheaper there ... I use the mobile2go and it works great in windows - I have a little trouble in Ubuntu 10.04 - However I find by connecting using sprint rathen then Virgen/heleo I get better results...

If someone has a good fix to speed it up a little I'd like to hear it...

eehouse@eehouse.org
January 2nd, 2011, 05:25 AM
I've had one for about a week -- paid about $142 with tax and shipping direct from Virgin -- and it's great so far. I'm using an Ubuntu netbook (Samsung) and family members have connected using Dell/Debian and MacOS laptops and a Cruz Android tablet.

The WiFi router in the thing provides rudimentary firewall features such as port forwarding. So in theory I could host a webserver on my netbook. Only certain ports are supported, e.g. www and telnet but not ssh.

The only problem I've had so far is in trying to add an entry to my home machine's /etc/hosts.allow so that I can get in from my netbook using the MiFi. The IP address reported to be the outbound interface of the MiFi is quite different from the address that my home machine reports it's trying to connect from (but not in the private Class A-C ranges either). Neither address resolves to anything sensible -- so I can't put something analogous to the "sshd: .pools.spcsdns.net" that lets me connect from an ssh client on a Sprint smartphone.

--Eric

boondocks
January 2nd, 2011, 01:21 PM
I've had one for about a week -- paid about $142 with tax and shipping direct from Virgin -- and it's great so far. I'm using an Ubuntu netbook (Samsung) and family members have connected using Dell/Debian and MacOS laptops and a Cruz Android tablet.

The WiFi router in the thing provides rudimentary firewall features such as port forwarding. So in theory I could host a webserver on my netbook. Only certain ports are supported, e.g. www and telnet but not ssh.

The only problem I've had so far is in trying to add an entry to my home machine's /etc/hosts.allow so that I can get in from my netbook using the MiFi. The IP address reported to be the outbound interface of the MiFi is quite different from the address that my home machine reports it's trying to connect from (but not in the private Class A-C ranges either). Neither address resolves to anything sensible -- so I can't put something analogous to the "sshd: .pools.spcsdns.net" that lets me connect from an ssh client on a Sprint smartphone.

--Eric
All this is very good to know. Thank you.
If possible, can you give a general idea of where (geographically) you have used the MiFi?
Don't need to be specific, North ... or South ... is good enough.