PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] please give me this cool effect

chaehaih
September 5th, 2010, 08:13 AM
I have been using dual monitors, and the one thing that really really really bugs me is the lack of this very simple features. Send windows from one monitor to another, if unsure, please check these websites. these software are for windows. Multimon is free actually for windows.

please check these out.
http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/tour/windows.asp
http://www.mediachance.com/free/multimon.htm

this is extremely useful and simple function. you click on the arrow icon that is usually placed next to standard 3 icons at the top right corner of each or most windows.

once you click on this arrow icon, your window is sent like a bullet to another screen, if its on left screen, it goes to right and viceversa.

I have been told kde can do this:

the user said: ""In the "Global Keyboard Shortcuts" section of KDE's system settings, if you select "Kwin" as the KDE component, there is one called "Window to Next Screen" that bounces the active window across your screens. There are also options for moving windows to specific screens (up to eight)"

so i went to do exactly like that and when I click on Global Keyboard settings I get the followign and also I don't have any choice to choose kwin, though I have separately installed kwin before i installed kde.

""""Failed to contact the KDE global shortcuts daemon
Message: Could not get owner of name 'org.kde.kglobalaccel': no such name Error: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NameHasNoOwner""""

so I did some googling and it seems my kdebase4-runtime might not have been properly installed. googled again to find out how to reinstall it, but most instructions seems to be for installating on mac.

i updated to kde from gnome, before that I was using, gnome, and compiz only..

1) So my request is, can someone tell me how to get rid of the above problem on KDE? so I can be able to choose KDE component named Kwin and find out how to make this work.

2) Or can someone please tell me how I can configure compiz to get this functionality. I already know about (alt+f7) but that's not what i am looking for, since that's not automatic, I have to move the window slowly by pressing arrow keys or drag it with the mouse, so (alt+f7) no good.

it's very simple and very useful feature, I can't undersand, why it is not incorporated now that almost 40-50% people these days have dual monitors and nvidia drivers are so great and easy to configure...

thanks so much, sorry about the long post for a simple but very annoying lack of feature.