PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] This is weird...

SantaFe
September 5th, 2010, 04:05 AM
I was running Ubuntu just fine, and GNOME still works correctly, my problem is I decided to once again to add XFCE so I could choose between the two upon boot up. For some reason however, after running awhile, I'll notice I suddenly have a different wallpaper on the screen (the one I used in GNOME) instead of the different one I picked for XFCE. Upon right clicking I find I have the GNOME right click menu (and can use the GNOME theme changer) instead of the XFCE right click menu.

Funny thing is, I still have the XFCE panel, and the rest of XFCE appears to work correctly, and it does work correctly if I reboot but then after awhile it sort of messes up again.

Is this just a bug of having XFCE4 & GNOME as Window managers? It doesn't seem to mess up when I'm in GNOME, just in XFCE4 and even then it doesn't make XFCE4 unusable, just a minor quirk that I thought someone here might know how to correct.

Thanks! ):P

EDIT: Found out it was Nautilus running in the background. Stopped it & rebooted & problem went away. ;) Now gotta figure out how it got started, as I was using Thunar, not Nautilus as my File Manager. ):P

azertyh
September 5th, 2010, 05:29 AM
hi,
i am in the same case : ubuntu 10.04 and installed xfce (just the window manager) but gnome and xfce work.
my only problem under xfce is the right-click to umount devices.
how did you install xfce?

SantaFe
September 5th, 2010, 09:32 PM
I Used Synaptic Package Manager & typed XFCE4 in the search box. Then right clicked on the box opposite XFCE4 & chose Mark For Installation & apply.

Two other ways can be found here: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/xfce

Or here: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/ubuntu/install-xfce-xubuntu-on-ubuntu-linux/

SantaFe
September 6th, 2010, 02:37 AM
Well I sort of fixed the problem by creating a new launcher on my panel called Fix XFCE & used this as the command: killall -HUP xfdesktop

Not an pretty way to solve the problem, but at least I don't have to reboot to fix it anymore. Still wondering why GNOME doesn't want to leave XFCE alone desktop wise.:lolflag: