PDA

View Full Version : FTW!!! google.com buckey-ball killing my cpu

brookie
September 4th, 2010, 11:58 PM
Hi all,

I usually use http://www.google.com/ as my default page in FF. Running Lucid with the latest updates and the latest FF. This new buckeyball will completely crush my cpu on two different machines. One Inspiron 600m 1.6ghz and and Inspiron 5150 3.0ghz both with Pentium-M processors.

FTW is going on? Workaround is to use another start page but one little rotating graphic-doo-hickey really sucks the cpu to 100%.
Anyone else having this problem? Just wondering?

Cheers,
brook

FuturePilot
September 5th, 2010, 12:03 AM
Killing CPUs For The Win. (?)

Austin25
September 5th, 2010, 12:11 AM
Killing CPUs For The Win. (?)
I think he means <snip> the world.

scouser73
September 5th, 2010, 12:13 AM
Hi all,

I usually use http://www.google.com/ as my default page in FF. Running Lucid with the latest updates and the latest FF. This new buckeyball will completely crush my cpu on two different machines. One Inspiron 600m 1.6ghz and and Inspiron 5150 3.0ghz both with Pentium-M processors.

FTW is going on? Workaround is to use another start page but one little rotating graphic-doo-hickey really sucks the cpu to 100%.
Anyone else having this problem? Just wondering?

Cheers,
brook

I thought I was the only person to have experienced this.

brookie
September 5th, 2010, 12:17 AM
your guess is as good as mine A25, but I don't know what FP meant...

So does anyone else have a problem loading the new google.com page?

Both my systems are 32bit with 2mb ram. Never had a problem loading google.com as my home page before.

Maybe the buckey-ball is a *uckey-ball? laugh! :)

Rasa1111
September 5th, 2010, 12:20 AM
this dell is 2.2ghz,
but it's not making my cpu rise above 73 or so.
but still, how meaningless.

scouser73
September 5th, 2010, 12:20 AM
The Google page has now changed, no more daft CPU hog.

Galher
September 5th, 2010, 12:23 AM
There are a lot of entries about this today.
it will be gone tomorow so be patient.

it's really cool throught they are using only javascript not flash or html5!

FuturePilot
September 5th, 2010, 12:25 AM
There are a lot of entries about this today.
it will be gone tomorow so be patient.

it's really cool throught they are using only javascript not flash or html5!

It would be cooler if they were using only html5 and not Flash or Javascript.

juancarlospaco
September 5th, 2010, 12:28 AM
ftw or wtf ?

leef
September 5th, 2010, 12:30 AM
Even on windows 7 with firefox it's running at 100% cpu so it's not linux specific. I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but the ball thing responds to your mouse, you can make it spin faster by clicking and draging your mouse over it. It's not done in flash so I'm thinking that it's javascript but I'm not sure.

spupy
September 5th, 2010, 12:31 AM
It would be cooler if they were using only html5 and not Flash or Javascript.

I think they aren't using Flash. And such thing can't be done with HTML5 alone - JS is needed.

wojox
September 5th, 2010, 12:36 AM
I think they aren't using Flash. And such thing can't be done with HTML5 alone - JS is needed.

Your right I don't see any flash. Just some bad JavaScript.

brookie
September 5th, 2010, 12:41 AM
ftw or wtf ?

sorry juan, i didn't know "ftw" was "for the win". I thought it was the same as "wtf". My teenage son had to school me. Doh! But to answer your question I meant "wtf". ;)

Thanks for the input you all. I just thought for a moment that these old lappys were done for when I heard the fans screaming. :(

leef
September 5th, 2010, 12:43 AM
Your right I don't see any flash. Just some bad JavaScript.

Not so sure they should have done this. I liked the pacman thing they did, it was awesome but this seems not so awesome.

wojox
September 5th, 2010, 12:46 AM
sorry juan, i didn't know "ftw" was "for the win". I thought it was the same as "wtf". My teenage son had to school me. Doh! But to answer your question I meant "wtf". ;)

Thanks for the input you all. I just thought for a moment that these old lappys were done for when I heard the fans screaming. :(

No I have a Dell Studio about two and a half years old with Intel Pentium Dual CPU T3200 @ 2.00 and 2GB of Ram and I feel it as well. ;)

wojox
September 5th, 2010, 12:48 AM
Not so sure they should have done this. I liked the pacman thing they did, it was awesome but this seems not so awesome.

Lol your right Pacman was great and didn't anything like this. Was Pacman Flash? I never checked.

leef
September 5th, 2010, 12:53 AM
Lol your right Pacman was great and didn't anything like this. Was Pacman Flash? I never checked.

pacman was javascript for sure but it didn't destroy your CPU.

chessnerd
September 5th, 2010, 12:56 AM
It uses 50% CPU on my dual-core machine (75% of 1 core and 25% of the other) so it really is a CPU hog.

Ironically, the page caused big issues in Google Chrome on my family's PC. You couldn't navigate away from the Google homepage after the Buckyball animation started. The good news is, it has forced my family to use Opera for the day, which is a better browser anyway...

Well, it will all be over at midnight tonight, but I'm surprised that Google really dropped the ball on this one. (No pun intended)

juancarlospaco
September 5th, 2010, 12:58 AM

its ok, No offense, i speak Spanish anyways :D

wojox
September 5th, 2010, 12:59 AM
pacman was javascript for sure but it didn't destroy your CPU.

Yeah after I posted that I though it's not like Google to put any Flash junk on their main site in order to cater to the masses.

leef
September 5th, 2010, 01:03 AM
Yeah after I posted that I though it's not like Google to put any Flash junk on their main site in order to cater to the masses.

Yeah I thought it was flash at first and was surpised they'd use flash. Pretty soon after that I realised it wasn't flash.

wojox
September 5th, 2010, 01:03 AM
It uses 50% CPU on my dual-core machine (75% of 1 core and 25% of the other) so it really is a CPU hog.

Your getting of easy. I got 100% on 1 core and 60% on the other. ;)

leef
September 5th, 2010, 01:09 AM
Yeah I thought it was flash at first and was surpised they'd use flash. Pretty soon after that I realised it wasn't flash.

I've got a single core celeron so maybe this only affects single cores?

chessnerd
September 5th, 2010, 01:11 AM
Your getting of easy. I got 100% on 1 core and 60% on the other. ;)

Well, Opera currently lacks hardware acceleration so I don't think it is capable of taking up that kind of CPU power. It only uses 50% during the Peacekeeper tests too.

I'm guessing you're using Chrome?

wojox
September 5th, 2010, 01:20 AM
Well, Opera currently lacks hardware acceleration so I don't think it is capable of taking up that kind of CPU power. It only uses 50% during the Peacekeeper tests too.

I'm guessing you're using Chrome?

I never had that much luck with Opera. I tried it months ago (can't remember which version). Every time I invoked it it sounded like it set off my arithmetic logic unit (ALU) like it was searching for the last digit of pi.

No chrome here. As you can tell from my signature and avatar, I'm a die hard Mozilla fan.

chessnerd
September 5th, 2010, 01:25 AM
No chrome here. As you can tell from my signature and avatar, I'm a die hard Mozilla fan.

That and your avatar. I noticed the avatar after I'd already posted and felt a bit stupid, but decided not to change it. ;)

sandyd
September 5th, 2010, 02:19 AM
lol. I just noticed, because it was the first time I used google for today..

Jesus_Valdez
September 5th, 2010, 05:43 AM
1) Install https everywhere

2)Automatically enter to the secure Google where nothing of this ever happen

3)?????

4) Profit!