PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No write permissions on the install directory

kareed
September 4th, 2010, 10:38 PM
I'm pretty new to Linux but I know my way around. I've gotten Google Earth downloaded and am trying to install it. Everything is fine until I try to install it into /usr/local (or somewhere in there). The Google Earth Setup keeps telling me that I do not have write permissions on this directory.

Question: How do I change the write permissions for this folder? Or should I install the program somewhere else? The last program I installed (xMind) installed into /usr/local.

I am the only user (administrator).

Thanks for your help.

PS. I'm using Lucid Lynx 10.04.1

Also, I installed it to the default (/home/me/googleearth) and when I try to launch it it says "untrusted application launcher"

rtimai
September 5th, 2010, 04:40 AM
Kareed, may I suggest that you try here. You have my sympathy, but you are likely to get more experienced advice from the support site dedicated to the product.

http://earth.google.com/support/

Ubuntu does provide a way to run installation tasks AS root (administrator,) but you should investigate the Google support site first. Good luck, and I hope you get to enjoy Google Earth.

oldos2er
September 5th, 2010, 04:42 AM
I'm pretty new to Linux but I know my way around. I've gotten Google Earth downloaded and am trying to install it.

If you're installing the *.bin file, you need to run it with sudo.
sudo ./GoogleEarthLinux.bin