PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] HELP! Ubuntu won't boot past loading screen!

derrick1985
September 4th, 2010, 10:11 PM
Hi,

I'm trying to install Ubuntu on a Dell computer of mine but I can't get it to boot past the loading screen. I'm using 10.04 live CD. At the loading screen (boot, memory test, etc..) I select to boot the live CD and after that, I get a black screen followed by no signal from my monitor. My monitor is a 42" LCD TV (I had plans to turn this PC into a HTPC using Ubuntu and Boxee). I know Linux will work on this box, because it has in the past. Now, before I used to have an ATI Radeon X 1300 PCI-E card and now I am using an ATI Radeon 2900GT, and since cannot boot.

Does anyone have any idea on how I can get this to work?

jeight
September 4th, 2010, 10:15 PM
Try bypassing the video card and hooking the monitor up directly to your motherboard. I doubt this will work but it's a first step. If that doesn't work I would try reinstalling. Maybe if you use gparted on the live cd and do a complete format it will install properly. Just a thought.

jeight
September 4th, 2010, 10:18 PM
I'm sorry I thought you already installed. If you are having problems loading into a live cd try checking to see if your cd files are corrupt. If all fails you could install using a text based installer from the alternate cd.