PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help!

ineedhelp123
September 4th, 2010, 09:37 PM
My fiend hooked me up with ubuntu a couple weeks ago and I like it but it's just to complicated for me. So i have been working to get it back to Windows Vista and unfortunately he didn't dual boot my computer so Windows is completely gone. I don't have a Windows start up disk because my CPU came with it and i don't have a SONY computer startup disk, it just came on my partition. So i tried a Gateway Operating System Disk from another computer with Windows Vista on it and it says there is an archive management problem...what in the world does that mean?

lisati
September 4th, 2010, 10:07 PM
Welcome to the Ubuntu forum. If you're after help using Ubuntu, you've come to the right place.

The bad news is that if you didn't make a backup copy of your Windows recovery partition before your friend installed Ubuntu, you might be stuck. A legally obtained installation disk, or a recovery disk specific to your particular computer, is your safest bet if you need to get Windows back. Avoid pirated disks - apart from possibility of legal hassles, many contain malware (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malware).

The good news is that there are many skilled people who come by this forum. All the best on your journey!

ineedhelp123
September 4th, 2010, 10:19 PM
Thank you!!!

roger_1960
September 4th, 2010, 10:34 PM
What exactly is too complicated? Its different, but not usually too hard.......

ineedhelp123
September 4th, 2010, 10:56 PM
i just dont like how you cant do some programs like skype on it. and i know they came out with a Skype for linux but my mic doesnt work. idk im not great with computers but now that i found this forum i may just keep ubuntu.

jeepguy_1980
September 5th, 2010, 01:19 AM
Your computer probably has a sticker with a windows key somewhere on it. If you can borrow a Windows Vista disk (of the same version, home, business, ultimate), you can use that disk to legally install Vista back onto your computer. Just use the key that is on the sticker.

jeight
September 5th, 2010, 01:32 AM
Ubuntu does have a steeper learning curve than using windows but this is because there are far more options and opportunities when using Linux.

About the mic problem on skype. Did you have the mic plugged in when you first installed skype? Skype is very good at auto detecting sound/video/mic hardware. There should be plenty of answers on this forum to fix that situation. I would help now, but I don't have skype installed on this partition and I can't do it by memory.

Try going into settings and try each mic option and do a test call until one option works. Eventually you will hit the jackpot.

ineedhelp123
September 5th, 2010, 04:25 AM
my computer does have a windows sticker on it but no number or anything :/ and i have tried everything for skype...wasted hours on it looking through forums but nothing works. thanks though!! It's a great system and works very efficiently but it's just not for me.