PDA

View Full Version : Just want everyone in the Ubuntu Community to know

poofyhairguy
April 8th, 2006, 03:11 AM
I just want everyone to know how much I love and appreciate this community. I have met so many cool people due to Ubuntu, gotten help from really cool people and helped some really good people.

Ubuntu itself might just be Debian with some spice; Gnome with some hammering.

But the community here is much more. I would say that its more important than Ubuntu itself, or OSes in general. We have created a club of like-minded people committed to improving the world in the way we know best (aka something to do with computers).

Long after Ubuntu is no longer hip, and desktop OSes no longer matter, I will remember the people here and remind myself that there is true charity and brotherhood in this world.

Each person who is a part of this community adds a certain part that together is worth far more than the some of its whole. MS might have billions and Steve Jobs might have more turtlenecks than any man alive, but I think what we have is better.

Computers are fun again. Actually, even better than that- thanks to Ubuntu I have never been so proud to be a computer nerd. Its our time to shine, and each and every one of you is making it happen.

From the bottom of my heart, thanks Ubuntu fans. You are the best.

Jedeye
April 8th, 2006, 03:20 AM
Well I must say thank you! you have given so much to the community. I have gone threw some of your guides, and it helped me part with XP that I can had become so use to. Now im 100% linux and lovin every minute of it!

Thanks again!

dreamsINdigital
April 8th, 2006, 03:35 AM
Yeah I'm fairly new here and I really like this place. Great distro, great people, great help. :)

mrgnash
April 8th, 2006, 03:36 AM
Phew!... when I thought this was working up to a farewell.. I'm happy it didn't :D

mstlyevil
April 8th, 2006, 03:38 AM
Poofy, you also embody the very spirit of Ubuntu and this community. You have given far more than you have taken and for that I am grateful to you.

But the community here is much more. I would say that its more important than Ubuntu itself, or OSes in general. We have created a club of like-minded people committed to improving the world in the way we know best (aka something to do with computers).

I agree. This community is what keeps me coming back to Ubuntu when I get that itch and try a different distro. So far there is no other community that matches this one in it's commitment and passion for new people. i just hope the rest of the world can learn from the example of this community of people of all languages, nationalities and faiths (or lack thereof) coming together to work toward a higher goal.

Each person who is a part of this community adds a certain part that together is worth far more than the some of its whole. MS might have billions and Steve Jobs might have more turtlenecks than any man alive, but I think what we have is better.

I could not have said it better myself.

Computers are fun again. Actually, even better than that- thanks to Ubuntu I have never been so proud to be a computer nerd. Its our time to shine, and each and every one of you is making it happen.

I was not a computer nerd until Ubuntu. Now I is one and damn proud of it. :mrgreen: I never dreamed I would be able to do the things I can now do with a computer. Although very much a novice, I look like a computer genius to my family and friends. This community is directly responsible for that as are you poofy for getting me hooked on Linux eye candy, your blog and your guides.

No, thank you and the rest of this community for all you have given me while expecting nothing in return. You are all most generous.

taurus
April 8th, 2006, 03:46 AM
Phew!... when I thought this was working up to a farewell.. I'm happy it didn't :D
I initially thought it was a farewell message too!!! Oh well, maybe it's time to get some sleep... :twisted:

John.Michael.Kane
April 8th, 2006, 05:05 AM
Thumbs up poofyhairguy., and every other member. you aswell as many others have brought much info to the world of ubuntuforums. Be it bags of eyecandy or just guides on making ubuntu user friendly for those who are having problems that a wealth of everyday ubuntuer's can use.

Thank you..

Kapre
April 8th, 2006, 05:10 AM
Thank you. To everyone (new and old --- young and the young once) who in their very own little way help us. Hats off. Thank you.

K

nalmeth
April 8th, 2006, 05:10 AM
Right back atcha poofy!
I guess we are a new generation of linux users aren't we? It's finally breaking into the end-user market (of which I suppose I belong, not being a programmer, or hacker), and without the welcoming web that is the Ubuntu Community, I would have given up pretty quick.
We got a great thing going here, and without people like you getting in, learning and sharing what you've learned, I/we would be much less the wiser.
Thank you poofyhairyguy

Iandefor
April 8th, 2006, 05:20 AM
*fuzzy*

Lovely post. Good points. Thanks, poofy!

vayu
April 8th, 2006, 08:32 AM

I haven't seen anything like it regarding computers.

And you especially, I'm always amazed by you and your contribution.

ShanghaiTeej
April 8th, 2006, 09:55 AM
I wouldn't be using Ubuntu or Linux for a year straight if it wasn't for these forums. I've been helped so much, and finally have been able to help some other people. My transition from Windows was extremely chaotic, but these forums helped me get on the right track. Now, I've been able to get a bunch of my friends and family to convert to Linux (Ubuntu) and they love it! Thanks everyone.

openmind
April 8th, 2006, 12:09 PM
The best Linux community by a long, long way. That doesn't happen by accident.

That's due to people like you, Poofy, and everybody else who helps us newbs transfer to Ubuntu without making us feel stupid.

Thanks to all of you.:D

Basu
April 8th, 2006, 03:51 PM
i agree with everyone here. The truth is, everyone here is different, but we pool our strengths and cover our weaknesses, which is the hallmark of a true society. I don't think any of us can quite express in words how much this community has helped us, but for me the community helped me not just to learn GNULinux, but also to help in community-building, with the result that I now have the Headmaster's permission to officially start and head a computer club at school, which I intend to use as a platform to push OSS and general awareness about computers.

ubuntu-geek
April 8th, 2006, 04:07 PM
/me wipes a tear.... ;)

wishyjr
April 8th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Poofy, you pickle me pink like a summer wildflower caressing the cheek of a jolly schoogirl. :) lol

TeeAhr1
April 8th, 2006, 05:22 PM
Amen. I'll admit, I'm not knowledgeable about Linux, or the differences between distros. I do know good people, though, and we've got 'em. And that's what keeps me here.

"Luminaries" like Poofy, Aysiu, Stormy, et. al., and the selfless help that they provide, and the amazing extent to which they give of their time and themselves. Ten-bean noobs, and the gratitude that they express when you can make their music play. The people do make it happen here, and above and beyond that, the people inspire me. Not just to be a better computer user, but to be a better person. If we treated everyone in the world the way we treat each other here, the world would be a better place for it.

Thanks, everyone.

gr0kzer0
April 8th, 2006, 05:31 PM
So many forums, the old hands are so quick to tell us "young 'uns" to RTFM - but here, the n00b asks her n00bish question that has probably been asked 10,000 times before, and the ones in the know will point her in the right direction - nicely, not making the n00b feel a fool. That's so appreciated when you're frustrated and confused and the obvious is out of reach.

ezphilosophy
April 8th, 2006, 06:48 PM
[raised glass]

cheers!

ubuntu_demon
April 8th, 2006, 07:35 PM
Yeah our community rocks !
We are on our way to 100.000 users :)

majikstreet
April 8th, 2006, 07:37 PM
We love you poofy :)

angkor
April 8th, 2006, 08:34 PM
=D> Coudn't agree more. Great distro with an even better community.

MenZa
April 8th, 2006, 09:22 PM
Yeah I'm fairly new here and I really like this place. Great distro, great people, great help. :)

That, just about, sums up my thoughs :)

drizek
April 8th, 2006, 09:44 PM
I now have the Headmaster's permission to officially start and head a computer club at school, which I intend to use as a platform to push OSS and general awareness about computers.
My friend and i just did the exact same thing. The computer graphics arts teacher already wants a dapper cd. I think we need to create some sort of project to get this to happen in more schools.

aysiu
April 19th, 2006, 03:39 AM
I just wanted to say a little "thank you" myself.

First of all, this community made me stick with Linux. Yes, I did find Mepis more "user friendly" as a collection of software (I was very GUI-dependent at the time), but the well-intentioned community at Mepis Lovers simply could not answer my questions when I came across problems or things I wanted to tweak.

The success rate here at people answering my questions has been well over 90%. I've asked some pretty obscure stuff, too. For example, the keyboard shortcut to change sessions in KDM and how to create a keyboard shortcut for emptying the trash in Gnome. And Ubuntu Forum members step up to the plate. Thank you for doing that.

Another thing I want to mention is that people are willing to go that extra leg. When I wanted mirrors for my PDF guide for new users, several people stepped up immediately to offer me sites to host the guide. (Another thing I learned is that some users here have far more bandwidth than my wimpy Psychocats site.) Same thing goes for Tikal26 kindly hosting my hastily-thrown-together Breezy add-on CD.

People just come forward and help when you ask for it, and I really appreciate that.

A funny aside: when I first joined these forums, one of my first posts was recommending that someone who was GUI-dependent (like me) try Mepis instead of Ubuntu. Poofyhairyguy edited my post or moved it to the jail (I forget which) and commented that my post was just rude. I PM'ed him letting him know my intentions, and he apologized, and I've had the utmost respect for him ever since. He's by far one of the most even-tempered moderators around here, and he knows a damn lot about beautifying Linux desktops!

Extra thanks to Kassetra for taking a chance on making me moderator, even if I didn't really want to be. I hope I did some good in that short period of time.

Well, back to helping new users...

wersdaluv
April 16th, 2007, 12:44 PM
Wersdaluv?

Here's the love!

It's in Ubuntu! :)

We are one!

sebas.rhcp
April 16th, 2007, 02:13 PM
I'm from Argentina and I had previously installed ubuntu just to give it a try. At that time I was amazed with this community. With little knowledge about Linux, I had it working just the way I wanted in no time. I'm planning on making a dual boot install of ubuntu + windows xp. I just miss that feeling of security and control that this community provided when I had no clue about what to do. I only need Windows for gaming, though.

;)

karellen
April 16th, 2007, 02:58 PM
:) thanks a lot man for your kind thoughts
we'll stick around...;)

Rutabega
April 16th, 2007, 03:24 PM
I was about to give up Linux for good two weeks ago. I was using SUSE for nearly two years but I never really got anywhere with SUSE's YAST and update method and the Linux forums I used to visit never felt really inviting or a sense of "community".
I decided to take the plunge and try Unbuntu as I liked the premise of the community aspect and because I've heard a lot of favorable reviews at the helpfulness of the Ubuntu forums.
I wasn't disappointed this place is great, most of my initial hiccups with getting to grips with the system were answered by the amazing search feature and I never had the need to post for a good few days.
Unbuntu forums= Inviting, friendly and above all helpful; thank you for getting my computer back to a usable productive and functional system and also thank you to the Unbuntu team for releasing a great distro. :guitar:

Kernel Sanders
April 16th, 2007, 03:41 PM
I just want everyone to know how much I love and appreciate this community. I have met so many cool people due to Ubuntu, gotten help from really cool people and helped some really good people.

Long after Ubuntu is no longer hip, and desktop OSes no longer matter, I will remember the people here and remind myself that there is true charity and brotherhood in this world.

*Wells up inside........and then hugs him!*

:guitar:

ratedrampage
October 23rd, 2009, 09:50 PM

First of all:
I may be a noob here but in the short time I have meddled with linux I always found myself going here to look for something.
And when I was bored and hed nothing good to do I always found myself going to check out some of your threads.
Second of all:
Thanks poofyhairyguy for beeing an important important member of this community. And thanks to the community for beeing what it is: brotherhood of nerds that help each other.