PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] What is for "Search domains:" field in NetworkManager?

nodnolse1
September 4th, 2010, 06:49 PM
I searched over the INTERNET but I can't get an exhaustive description of that function ("Search domains:"). Are you able to explain to me what it is for?
Thanks

clrg
September 4th, 2010, 09:40 PM
Could you please post a screenshot? I don't know where you found that feature.

procras
September 4th, 2010, 09:53 PM
man resolv.conf

apmcd47
September 4th, 2010, 10:15 PM
Your company may have a domain:

mycompany.com

But it may be a large company, so each department may have its own village (sub-network), each with its own sub-domain:

hr.mycompany.com
pr.mycompany.com
it.mycompany.com
research.mycompany.com
marketing.mycompany.com

Your computer may be mycomputer.marketing.mycompany.com and the department server is mkserver.marketing.mycompany.com but thanks to the way DNS is set up you are in marketing.mycompany.com and can access the server simply as mkserver. But you use the server prserver.pr.mycompany.com a lot, not to mention mainserver.mycompany.com, and don't want to type in the full address each time. Search domains allows the other sub domains plus the main domain to be searched as though they are your local domain. So you may have this in your search domain:

marketing.mycompany.com
mycompany.com
hr.mycompany.com
pr.mycompany.com
it.mycompany.com
research.mycompany.com

Now the full domain name is needed if there is a clash of names as in john.pr.mycompany.com and john.it.mycompany.com

I hope that answers your question.

Andrew

nodnolse1
September 6th, 2010, 02:19 PM
Thank you to all that have tried to explain the function. I have understood that for soho w/o a domain it is better to leave the field blank. Thank you again, Paolo