PDA

View Full Version : one of the many ways to get a rough idea of the number of linux users out there

roy913
September 4th, 2010, 06:05 PM
if you have enough files shared through bittorrent, then you can have a look at what program are the downloaders using to download from your computer.

ok, those downloading techy stuff like iso of linux distro or deb or rpm etc are not taken into account. only those downloading usual stuffs like music and videos count.

from my very personal observation within a very narrow time frame, 4 out of 90 users are using either transmission or ktorrent.

not bad for linux to have a stake of higher than 4% in the total number of pc users or more accurately the bittorrent users. ;)

FuturePilot
September 4th, 2010, 06:06 PM
Transmission also runs on OS X. It's not a Linux only program. And AFAIK it doesn't identify itself any differently on either platform.

roy913
September 4th, 2010, 06:27 PM
thanks FuturePilot, its good to know that. So perhaps we can only see the stats of the number of users using a particular BT client. And your information gives me a clue why there are ocassionally some transmissions in a list full of utorrent.

Naiki Muliaina
September 4th, 2010, 06:36 PM
Curiosity has me, the way your post is worded is there a website or something that tells you what's being torrented and has 'been' torrented? Just really want to be nosey and see iso torrent rates :)

djsroknrol
September 4th, 2010, 06:59 PM
The linux Counter might give you a better idea of Linux users....

praveenthivari
September 4th, 2010, 07:30 PM
Use canonical-census from USC:-)