PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] graphics tablet for ubuntu

itsols
September 4th, 2010, 07:11 AM
I'm looking to get a simple graphics tablet for Ubuntu on my Inspiron 1150.

The main thing is that I need to buy it locally in Sri Lanka and it should install and be functional with the least amount of hassle.

Any ideas please...
Thanks in advance!

Favux
September 4th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Hi itsols,

Probably the best supported tablets are the Wacom's.

If you're a graphics professional look into the Wacom Intuous4's or Cintiq's.

If you want a decent tablet check out the new Wacom Bamboo Pen & Touch series: Bamboo P&T, Bamboo Craft, or Bamboo Fun, (or Bamboo Pen) Because they are new you do have to compile some things but the Bamboo HOW TO (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9496609&postcount=1) makes this reasonable.

Other tablets reasonably supported are the Aiptek's and WizardPen's (many brand names). The Waltop tablets are not so well supported in Lucid right now.

itsols
September 4th, 2010, 06:11 PM
Thank you for your inputs. In fact I've already seen the Intuos4 on the site. And honestly looking back at the hassle I've had (and am having with Lucid right now), I'm really afraid to even consider it. All those buttons and programmable features - scary indeed.

But yes, like you've correctly said, I noticed that the Wacoms are more popular amongst Ubuntu users.

I don't know where you are but in Sri Lanka, all of a sudden ALL tablets have vanished. Not a single shop has one. But wait, there's a Genius model - one that I don't know much about and even the vendors don't seem to know what it can or can't do :(

That genius tablet has some extra stuff like replaceable nibs which can be used as a pencil with paper on the tablet. And the tablet literally stores the sketch for later use on the computer.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts.
Cheers!

Favux
September 4th, 2010, 06:38 PM
The Genius brand is usually rebranding WizardPen's (the OEM) or a few Waltops. But it sounds like you're describing the Genius G-Note 7000 or 7100. Which is a rebranded iVista tablet(?) maybe. Does it look like this?: http://download.geniusnet.com/manual/tablet/G-Note7000/G-Note_7000_e.pdf I think we've had trouble getting those to work. I'd have to reasearch that.

itsols
September 4th, 2010, 06:42 PM
That's exactly the one - the 7000 series. They have an A4 sized tablet.

I nearly bought it... So I think I'll step back and wait to see if anyone's got a better deal.

Unfortunately over here, we can't test these gadgets and even the vendors haven't got the slightest clue of what they're selling.

Thanks again for that little 'warning' :)

As a last resort, maybe, I'll go for amazon and see if anyone's offering an ubuntu compatible tablet.

asokaj
February 5th, 2011, 06:00 AM
Hello,

We have the entire line of WACOM graphics tablets including the Bamboo and Intous4 for your requirements. Please visit our new WACOM Display Centre at No 48, Ward Place, Colombo 07 where you can go through the entire product display and also speak to one of our product staff to discuss your concerns as well.

We are the only authorized distributor for WACOM in Sri Lanka and local warranty support also will be provided with the products.

You can contact us on 4710033.

Regds

Asoka.
ABC Computers Ltd.