PDA

View Full Version : Using mouse gestures (easystroke?) to log in

korny
September 4th, 2010, 06:10 AM
Hi folks,
I'm setting up a media PC, mostly running xbmc, but I also want to be able to use the desktop for basic stuff - simple webapps etc.

Generally, I don't want to have to plug in a keyboard for anything - I have a wireless mouse (and I'm hoping to get a wiimote working, though that's a whole different set of problems) and I'd like to do as much as possible with just the mouse.

It seams easystroke and gesture recognition is a great way to do some of what I want. But I'm trying to work out how to log in in the first place... I'm not a big fan of automatic login, but I also don't want to have to plug in the keyboard to log in. Is there some way to get easystroke to operate at login? I could run the onscreen keyboard at login, but that can be pretty painful for entering non-trivial passwords. I'd prefer some way to program a (reasonably obscure) gesture that logs me in automatically.

I *have* found that I can get easystroke to enter a password in the password lockout screen on the screensaver - but it shows my password in plain-text on the gui, so that's not a great option either.

It's possible I'm asking for something impossible :) Any suggestions, anyone? It doesn't really need to be gesture recognition - I just want some way to log in (and ideally also unlock from the screen saver) with reasonable security, but without a keyboard...

- Korny

otternox
January 7th, 2011, 05:27 PM
bumping old post ):P

would be great if this were possible, especially if password were encrypted, not plain text!

aphatak
April 14th, 2011, 03:39 PM
Did you mean your gestures show up as a trace on the screen? If you did, open the Easystroke window, select the 'Preferences' tab, then select 'None' from the dropdown box labeled 'Method to show gestures'. The trace disappears, but Easystroke reads and processes your gestures.