PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an mp3 player with these specifics:

user1397
September 4th, 2010, 05:50 AM
- drag and drop files (most wanted feature)
- screen (to see and change tracks)
- at least 8GB

these would be cool, but not necessary (to keep price down)
- video playback
- radio
- flac compatibility

anyone know of any with these specs at a decent price (<$100)?

pwnst*r
September 4th, 2010, 05:51 AM
Cowon A2 if you can find one online.

user1397
September 4th, 2010, 10:35 PM
any other suggestions?

NCLI
September 4th, 2010, 10:36 PM
Basically anything COWON. I'm partial to the S9 myself :)

They are a little expensive, sure. However, they're packed with features, very durable, custumizable, and COWON keeps adding new functionality with updates.

user1397
September 4th, 2010, 10:48 PM
hmm maybe no one saw my 'at a decent price' in the OP..guess i should highlight that more hehe

NCLI
September 4th, 2010, 11:13 PM
I think it's a decent price for what you get :)

What is your price range then?

user1397
September 4th, 2010, 11:15 PM
i guess i would like something under $100

speedwell68
September 4th, 2010, 11:19 PM
Do not under any circumstances by an Archos Vision 2. They are junk, I am on my 3rd in a year, they keep failing and the shop keeps on replacing them.

NCLI
September 4th, 2010, 11:26 PM
Do not under any circumstances by an Archos Vision 2. They are junk, I am on my 3rd in a year, they keep failing and the shop keeps on replacing them.

Doesn't the UK have a law regulating the maximum amount of times a shop can refuse to simply refund the price of a device if it breaks? I think it's 3 in Denmark.

drawkcab
September 4th, 2010, 11:55 PM
I need the same things out of an mp3 player. If I had to give up my old Iriver, I'd probably buy something from the Cowon line.

sandyd
September 5th, 2010, 02:23 AM
- at least 8GB

- video playback
- radio
- flac compatibility

a little over, but -> https://store.archos.com/archos-internet-tablet-p-5001.html

cprofitt
September 5th, 2010, 02:27 AM
- at least 8GB

- video playback
- radio
- flac compatibility

I have and would recommend the Sansa Fuze (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16855125067). It has expandable memory, support for FLAC and OGG, a radio, video playback and it under $100. You can drag and drop files if you put it in to MSC Mode. With MTP mode you can use Rythmbox.

Spr0k3t
September 5th, 2010, 05:16 AM
I'm going to second the Sansa Fuze. It fits the bill of what you are asking for. All the features plus the price restriction. My family all use Sansa players without problems... only had one fail on us in three years and that was because it got run over by a school bus. One extra bonus is Rockbox.org support so you can replace the OS on it.

Dustin2128
September 5th, 2010, 05:18 AM
I have and would recommend the Sansa Fuze (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16855125067). It has expandable memory, support for FLAC and OGG, a radio, video playback and it under $100. You can drag and drop files if you put it in to MSC Mode. With MTP mode you can use Rythmbox.
+1 to the fuze. Mine worked perfectly well until the day came when I didn't check my pockets before throwing my pants in the wash. #-o

user1397
September 5th, 2010, 06:34 AM
hmm the sanza fuze definitely looks like the top contender right now...i'll look into it more

BkkBonanza
September 5th, 2010, 08:27 AM
+1^10
Sansa Fuze = Awesome.

I've had a Sansa Fuze for 1 year. Great player. And you can install Rockbox to get lots of nifty extras. Like gapless playback, mpg video, AlbumFlow menu.

Has microSD slot for adding more memory.

And you'll have about half left over for decent ear buds.

cascade9
September 5th, 2010, 10:13 AM
iRiver e100/e150 does what your after as well, and for under $100 US.

ve4cib
September 5th, 2010, 12:11 PM
The Cowon iAudio X5 has been discontinued, but would fit your requirements if you can find one. I've owned an X5 for several years (so long I don't even remember exactly how many years; since 2005 or 2006 I think, if not longer). It's a solid device, drag-and-drop file transfers, FM radio, video playback (though the screen is small), out-of-the-box support for FLAC and OGG, and a microphone/line-in recorder.

My X5 has been used in weather ranging from -30C winters to +35C summers, all humidity ranges without problem. It's been dropped on concrete, partially-submerged when it's fallen out of my pocket into a puddle, and used for several hours on a daily basis for several years and it's still working. I highly recommend it if you can find it.

There's one available on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/iAudio-Portable-Multimedia-Player-Recorder/dp/B0009Q4U7Y) for $160, which isn't too far off your price mark.

The biggest downside to the X5 is the fact that it is discontinued, so the chances of a warranty are slim (if you should ever need to have it serviced). On the bright side it's very easy to repair yourself if you have some small screwdrivers and a soldering iron should the need ever arise.

gnomeuser
September 5th, 2010, 01:25 PM
I bought the Sansa Fuze and was so impressed with it that I got my mother one for Christmas. She loves it for her Audiobooks, and the interface with a bit of tutoring is very userfriendly even for technophobic people like her.

For Ogg Vorbis I get just shy of a full days play time which is sufficient for most uses. It fits snuggly in any pocket.

Finally Sansa keeps putting out new firmware so you will continue to see improvements. They even have a means to do this upgrade from Linux which is rare.

Highly recommended.

23meg
September 5th, 2010, 02:28 PM
Sansa Clip or Clip Plus. Especially if audio quality and FLAC / OGG Vorbis compatibility matters more than video playback.

cprofitt
September 5th, 2010, 02:41 PM
iRiver e100/e150 does what your after as well, and for under $100 US.

my daughter has a iRiver player, but it did not meet the 8gb size request and is not expandable. It is very nice though.

cascade9
September 5th, 2010, 04:51 PM
my daughter has a iRiver player, but it did not meet the 8gb size request and is not expandable. It is very nice though.

They arent all expandable, but e100/150 are, and are avaible for under $100 in 8GB models-

http://www.amazon.com/iriver-E100-Multimedia-Player-Black/dp/B00171UD5S/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1283701648&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/iriver-Digital-Media-Player-Black/dp/B002X7872G/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

I've got a 2GB e100 (+4GB SD), tough little thing hasnt given me any problems at all yet in over a year and a half I've used it.

I dont know how well sound quality measuers up to the sansa/cowon players though.

3rdalbum
September 5th, 2010, 05:05 PM
Take a look at the Sony Walkmans. They don't do Flac and they are not inexpensive, but you may be able to find older models for cheap. The audio quality is impressive too.

drawkcab
September 5th, 2010, 09:57 PM
The Cowon iAudio X5 has been discontinued

Oh no!!!!!!!!

I bought my mom a Sansa Fuze for Christmas a few years ago. It's a decent option but there's gotta be something better. I'd much rather have my ages old Iriver to tell you the truth.

sgosnell
September 5th, 2010, 10:57 PM
I love my Fuze. I've had several players, including a Sansa Clip, Phillips, and a few other brands, and the Fuze is by far the best I've found. The ability to take a flash card was essential, and with a 16GB microSD in the slot, I have all my music in one place. I seldom use the radio or voice recorder, but they're there if I want them. I also don't use the video capability, but others might.