PDA

View Full Version : \o/ I got a job!

Ckhi Kuzad
September 4th, 2010, 02:39 AM
:D I now have the most awesome job in this entire town...
Every Friday, I have a job washing dishes at a local restaurant!
It pays 10 dollars a night, and free food during breaks (and it's good food)

(Took me like 10 minutes to make 'colon capital D' stop looking like :D)

mamamia88
September 4th, 2010, 03:06 AM
wow $10 a night are you sure that's even legal?

Ckhi Kuzad
September 4th, 2010, 03:14 AM
I volunteered, and the owner said he would pay me still, and I need money to get stuff. everything costs money... god we need open source food that we can edit and stuff and make it free for ourselves and-- oh.

hrhnick
September 4th, 2010, 03:24 AM
$10 a night? I'd ask for minimum wage by the hour at least, $10 won't even buy a movie ticket these days. :popcorn:

bsharp
September 4th, 2010, 03:28 AM
You didn't get a job, you sold yourself into slavery... :(

Unless you're too young to be legally employed, which explains the situation but doesn't make it much better.

Umm, congrats?

cgroza
September 4th, 2010, 03:31 AM
Maybe you mean 10$/hour?

drawkcab
September 4th, 2010, 04:11 AM
talk about exploitation

toupeiro
September 4th, 2010, 04:18 AM
Hey, has anyone seen unemployment rates lately? It's not much, but its something, and its free meals.

I used to work saturdays doing tune-ups and oil changes on Saturdays during the day in over 100 degree ambient heat (Before a hot car was over my head) for nothing but lunch, and to have the garage any sunday I wanted to work on my car. I got free oil, belts, hoses, wipers, other fluids and lubricants. It was a great arrangement, and I rebuilt the entire front-end of my 1970 monte carlo with it on professional hydraulic lifts, with a full array of power and pneumatic tools, instead of a floor jack and laying flat on my back. Short time stop-gap jobs like this are great, but they cannot sustain.

Congrats on your job!

Khakilang
September 4th, 2010, 06:14 AM
$10 a night is slavery. Well as long as you are happy and legal.

Kdar
September 4th, 2010, 06:23 AM
god we need open source food that we can edit and stuff and make it free for ourselves and-- oh.

Open-source doesn't mean it is free to make, its not magic or some miracle. Takes time and effort of different developers, which is a resource.

Chronon
September 4th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Open-source doesn't mean it is free to make, its not magic or some miracle. Takes time and effort of different developers, which is a resource.

Yes, changes require effort; replication does not. The inability to replicate physical objects cheaply breaks the analogy with digital data structures.

Kdar
September 5th, 2010, 05:58 AM
But actually.. Food is already 'Open-Source'..
You can go and make any kind of dish if you know how (recipe)

Of course if you buy that food, it will cost money..

But if you download open-source software, it also in the end cost you money (your Internet traffic) even if it is insignificant.

Dustin2128
September 5th, 2010, 06:08 AM
yeah.. unless you're under the working age (usually 16 or so), or only working for an hour and a half a night, thats illegal most countries. For instance, minimum wage here is about 7$/hr.

d3v1150m471c
September 5th, 2010, 06:10 AM
"that's like a dollar an hour" - napoleon dynamite

limestone
September 5th, 2010, 01:55 PM
But actually.. Food is already 'Open-Source'..
You can go and make any kind of dish if you know how (recipe)

Of course if you buy that food, it will cost money..

But if you download open-source software, it also in the end cost you money (your Internet traffic) even if it is insignificant.

Still, open-source doesn't mean free of charge it means free as in free speech.

Kdar
September 5th, 2010, 03:02 PM
Still, open-source doesn't mean free of charge it means free as in free speech.

this is exactly what I was trying to say, especially from my last post.

Swagman
September 5th, 2010, 03:12 PM
:D I now have the most awesome job in this entire town...
Every Friday, I have a job washing dishes at a local restaurant!
It pays 10 dollars a night, and free food during breaks (and it's good food)

(Took me like 10 minutes to make 'colon capital D' stop looking like :D)

Congrats dude. <--- No sarcasm

I did that same kind of thing in 1982 when I went back to Western Australia on my own (I was 21)

There was NO work about then so I took a job washing dishes in a high street walk in restaurant (Hay Street Mall to any Perthians reading this). I had to pretend I was 16 which was just about the only time I was grateful that I'm a shortarse. (Vertically challenged to the PC brigade)

It was hard (hot) work but it was a pay cheque Jack !!

Later on, back in UK (1985) I passed my semi truck licence but there were no jobs.. Same old story... No job- No experience... No experience - No job. So I worked a solid month holiday relieving for NOTHING.

The unions went mental

But I got the job. The furore washed under the bridge.... And I'm still trucking 23 years later with a "Cream-Boy" job. ( Night trunker trucker.. All I do is go to our own depots.. open the rear doors and back on the bay.. Then go to the canteen. 1 hour later I pull off the bay, close the doors and go home).

Rubi1200
September 5th, 2010, 06:45 PM
I've washed dishes, delivered newspapers, swept floors, cleaned toilets etc. etc. etc.
(I am not even going to talk about some of the "nice" jobs I had).

Sometimes, you have to do what you have to do!

I say it is character building; good for you and good luck.

:)

Tracy177
September 5th, 2010, 06:48 PM
You didn't get a job, you sold yourself into slavery... :(

Unless you're too young to be legally employed, which explains the situation but doesn't make it much better.

Umm, congrats?

in england many foreigners work not really 10 but i would say 20£ day and it is legal

Rasa1111
September 5th, 2010, 06:55 PM
damn.
sorry man.
but as long as your happy..
and aware... lol :D
Congrats.

Kdar
September 5th, 2010, 10:55 PM
thats good when you are happy at work :D

Tracy177
September 6th, 2010, 12:40 PM
thats good when you are happy at work :D

dont worry be happy

i heard in china averadge factory worker earn about 700$/month

Kdar
September 8th, 2010, 12:18 AM
dont worry be happy

i heard in china averadge factory worker earn about 700$/month

700? are you sure?

Probably more in range of $200-300.

Dr. C
September 8th, 2010, 05:10 PM
I would check the Ohio : Division of Industrial Compliance and Labor : Bureau of Labor & Worker Safety (http://www.com.ohio.gov/laws/) site as to whether this $10 an night employment is actually legal since the OP indicated Ohio as the location.

whiskeylover
September 8th, 2010, 05:11 PM
I would check the Ohio : Division of Industrial Compliance and Labor : Bureau of Labor & Worker Safety (http://www.com.ohio.gov/laws/) site as to whether this $10 an night employment is actually legal since the OP indicated Ohio as the location.
He also mentioned that he volunteered. Not sure how that factors in.

Dr. C
September 8th, 2010, 05:18 PM
He also mentioned that he volunteered. Not sure how that factors in.

IANAL. I doubt it unless the place the worker "volunteered" for is a bona fide non profit.