PDA

View Full Version : I miss you, Ubuntu brown

Alexander Barnes
September 4th, 2010, 02:07 AM
Dear Ubuntu:

I have to tell you that purple is a difficult color to match to almost everything that appears on my screen except your icons.

I know that LinuxFormat magazine taunted you mercilessly and unfairly about your brown colors, but I though Ubuntu 9,04 and 9.10 where the most beautiful desktops I had ever seen.

I hope you will come back to your true colors soon.

Alex

malspa
September 4th, 2010, 02:13 AM
So, you keep the default wallpaper?

andymorton
September 4th, 2010, 02:18 AM
I was glad to see the back of the brown wallpaper. I think the purple is a big improvement. Not that it really matters that much since pretty much everything about Ubuntu is customisable. I don't think I've ever kept the default wallpaper on any OS.

valbaca
September 4th, 2010, 02:22 AM
sudo apt-get install human-theme humanity-icon-theme
and party like it's 2009!

malspa
September 4th, 2010, 02:27 AM
I have to admit, I did like the brown better. Never could understand why folks made such a fuss about it.

MCVenom
September 4th, 2010, 02:34 AM
I was fond of the brown too, but the Lucid default theme was the first default theme I actually kept around for a while.

I think the new Maverick default will be one of the most professional themes of any release... If they don't stick with that wallpaper with the horrid vomit-orange spots :P

Bachstelze
September 4th, 2010, 02:36 AM
Only the wallpaper is purple, just change it if you don't like it. The rest is black/grey/orange (on the default theme). I think it's reall good (but I don't like the new logo :p).

valbaca
September 4th, 2010, 02:48 AM
Only the wallpaper is purple, just change it if you don't like it. The rest is black/grey/orange (on the default theme). I think it's reall good (but I don't like the new logo :p).
I really like the new logo (to each their own), but they've done a terrible job implementing it, or rather they did it too late.
Everything for the past six years has had the yellow/orange/red "circle of friends" stamped on it (e.g. Look at the ubuntu forums logo in the top left!) and an attempt to change it *now* was idiotic.

right now rocking the elementary theme, might go back to "human" for nostalgia's sake.

drawkcab
September 4th, 2010, 04:16 AM
purple = stupid

wewantutopia
September 4th, 2010, 04:47 AM
I prefer the old circle of friends logo to the new modernesque trendy looking logo. It at least symbolized something meaningfull about Ubuntu, linux for humans. The colors of old Ubuntu also represented this same ethos. The direction Ubuntu is taking stinks of trend mongering... I'm sticking with Karmic as long as possible.

Linye
September 4th, 2010, 05:47 AM
Purple FTW.

Khakilang
September 4th, 2010, 05:52 AM
I like Deep Purple. They are simply awesome.

Alexander Barnes
September 4th, 2010, 10:29 PM
Code:

Close. I think I did that already anyway, but the icon themes all have purple in them (Exception: gnome icon theme which is ash grey). Are there more icon themes that I can download?

Icon themes I have (and tried all of them):
Humanity
Humanity-Dark
HumanLoginIcons
LoginIcons
Ubuntu-Mono-Dark
Ubuntu-Mono-Light

No Humanity-Brown? Really?

Note: currently just installed Maverick Beta 2 on my desktop. Wallpaper is really, really awful. This just has to be a joke:
http://digitizor.com/2010/08/27/seriously-is-this-supposed-to-be-the-default-wallpaper-for-ubuntu-10-10/
Of course I did change that right away.

I like Deep Purple. They are simply awesome.:lol::lol::lol:

Denis Krajnc
September 4th, 2010, 10:43 PM
I like brown better, but it's not a problem to change wallpaper.

speedwell68
September 4th, 2010, 11:55 PM
I prefer the old circle of friends logo to the new modernesque trendy looking logo. It at least symbolized something meaningfull about Ubuntu, linux for humans. The colors of old Ubuntu also represented this same ethos. The direction Ubuntu is taking stinks of trend mongering... I'm sticking with Karmic as long as possible.

If you don't like the new themes and wallpapers, just swap the for something you do like and if that is the old style wallpapers and themes. It will only take about 2 minutes of your life to do.

Rasa1111
September 5th, 2010, 12:03 AM
I really like the new logo (to each their own), but they've done a terrible job implementing it, or rather they did it too late.
Everything for the past six years has had the yellow/orange/red "circle of friends" stamped on it (e.g. Look at the ubuntu forums logo in the top left!) and an attempt to change it *now* was idiotic.

I rather like this myself..
http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=168507&stc=1&d=1283641300

old one was cool, but this is nicer i feel. lol
It goes with more. :D
the red,yellow and orange one , looked 'off' with many things.
it's evolution, man. lol

scottuss
September 5th, 2010, 12:27 AM
I sometimes fire up my trusty Hardy Heron VM just to see the brown.

JDShu
September 5th, 2010, 01:31 AM
I thought I was indifferent while using the brown defaults, but the Lucid default is definitely an improvement for me.

Frogs Hair
September 5th, 2010, 01:44 AM
I don't miss the brown from 9.10 , but have installed the 9.10 wallpaper from the repository.

foxxxy
September 5th, 2010, 02:18 AM

Hey, thanks :)

Also, Ubuntu is suppose to represent human beings, I think the orange color scheme of Ubuntu 9.04 feels like that. They should at least keep those themes in the default installation...

Alexander Barnes
September 5th, 2010, 06:36 AM
If you don't like the new themes and wallpapers, just swap the for something you do like and if that is the old style wallpapers and themes. It will only take about 2 minutes of your life to do.

The old themes aren't available so far as I can tell. I can find a wallpaper that's different, yes. But the icons all have the new style, and even the available themes aren't really what they were in 9.04 or 9.10. I'm okay with the New Wave theme, so I'm using that. But the new icons won't budge. None of the icons available match the pre-Lucid appearance.

Also, Ubuntu is suppose to represent human beings, I think the orange color scheme of Ubuntu 9.04 feels like that. They should at least keep those themes in the default installation...

Agree.

I'm not a graphic designer but the purple seems jarring to me - it sticks out and is noticeable, whereas I'm not looking for a desktop that's telling me its there. I really liked 9.04 a lot. Heck, I guess I could just install it again (but end of life is in two months). I was expecting Lucid to be my desktop for the next 3 years - it's disappointing to find Ubuntu unveiling all this "newness". I suppose I expected the LTS release to be more conservative and more like the releases leading up to it. I feel like the real Lucid is really going to be Maverick, or maybe even whatever comes after that. This one feels too experimental.

The Real Dave
September 5th, 2010, 12:15 PM
Personally, I love the Ubuntu brown, so I modified a few themes, and made a pack of it :) It's called HumanLogin_Brown and you can grab it here (http://wp.me/pIF7C-7B).

http://linuxexpresso.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/humanlogin_brown.png?w=300&h=240 (http://linuxexpresso.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/humanlogin_brown.png)

Christian Knudsen
September 5th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Isn't that more gray than brown?

Anyway, I missed the orange/brown theme at first, but I must say, the default dark theme of 10.04 is really growing on me. I haven't changed it yet (besides moving the window title and buttons!).

limestone
September 5th, 2010, 01:43 PM
I use Clearlooks. Why mess up something thats so easy..

Rasa1111
September 5th, 2010, 01:52 PM
clearlooks reminds me of something from the early 90's.
removed! lol
I think they did awesome on Lucids default. <3
Mavericks is pretty sweet to!

Nice job, Dave! :)

KdotJ
September 5th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Maverick looks awesome.
I'm going with elementary right now but I will keep the maverick default once it lands final. I had the lucid default for ages, and I have to say I love the purple

CarpKing
September 5th, 2010, 11:57 PM
I really like the purple in the new theme (and feel the theme overall is an improvement), but I think it would look better with brown than it does with orange.

mehaga
September 6th, 2010, 12:08 AM
Why even have a single color background? Even if you find the color everyone likes, it will still look like an unfinished product, with that monotonous background. Why always something artificial, why not bring some simple, relaxing, good looking nature to the desktop?

Alexander Barnes
September 6th, 2010, 12:35 AM
Okay, so having slept on it, I'm feeling pretty sure that's its strange that every single one of about 8 icon themes in Maverick all have purple, and 0 don't. Couldn't we have at least one choice without? It's as if Ubuntu is saying "we like purple - now you must like it too.". I can pick a theme and a wallpaper, but I can't get rid of the purple icons. I'm not well versed enough in Ubuntu to create my own icon themes (and I don't really want to - I've always chosen something that there already. Only this time ... well, there's really no choice :( It's purple, purple, purple, or purple ... ).

Linye
September 6th, 2010, 01:49 AM
Search for another icon theme. There are many on gnome-look.org

Alexander Barnes
September 6th, 2010, 10:11 PM
I really don't want to download 1, 10, or 20 icon themes trying to find one I like, and I'm not well-versed in customizing desktops -- but if you know how to get 9.04 or 9.10 icons specifically I'll gladly take that information. Telling me to "find something else" misses the point (I already know I can do that). My message to Ubuntu is simpler than that. Just include something like the old icons in the choice of icon themes that comes with the distro -- at least something that doesn't have the new purple all over it. Even the folks in Redmond are more thoughtful about their users on this score -- When XP came out users could always choose a Windows classic desktop and keep the old desktop they were used to using (I don't know about Vista or 7 - haven't used them).

Unless someone has specific information on the icons from 9.04 or 9.10, I guess the bottom line is I have to get used to it or starting searching for something I like better. The point was, why is Ubuntu not giving us at least *one* option for something different? As far as I can tell, all their humanity icon themes are practically impossible to tell apart. Maybe this is just a work in progress. The purple might tone down a bit too, from the rather bright hue in the icons now. Given that Brown to Purple is a big change, I think that Ubuntu should be more thoughtful of those of us who liked Brown - just as Windows was thoughtful about their users when they made a major switch to a new theme with XP from classic.

MasterNetra
September 7th, 2010, 03:08 AM
I was fond of the brown too, but the Lucid default theme was the first default theme I actually kept around for a while.

I think the new Maverick default will be one of the most professional themes of any release... If they don't stick with that wallpaper with the horrid vomit-orange spots :P

+1

Agreed, why they even remotely thought that those horrid spots would be a improvement is beyond me.

juancarlospaco
September 7th, 2010, 03:35 AM
Purple is more Manly

Alexander Barnes
September 8th, 2010, 06:09 AM
Hmmm, I did just find in the gnome desktop (universe) repository:
gnome-human-icon-theme 5.5.1

lots of orange, no purple.

Oddly enough, maybe I'm getting used to it. I tried clearlooks theme with new wave windows borders and a new wallpaper and low and behold everything seems very nice all of a sudden (even with the manly purple icons). Score 1 for linux again.

I'll sign off as a satisfied "customer" - thanks for the responses (and those to come). Especially whomever it was who shared their customization theme - I'm always impressed at what you guys do to jazz up your pc's, whereas I usually just pick something that's there (as this time, but only after a little more trial and error than usual).

Alex.