PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Can not Connect to Internet

September 4th, 2010, 01:55 AM
I just downloaded Ubuntu two days ago, and could not connect to the internet. I went to the network manager, left-clicked on it, and underneath wireless it said, "device not ready". I turned off the wireless, and it said, "wireless is disabled", so I turned it back on and it still showed "device not ready". I tried clicking on configure VPN and nothing happened. I also clicked on "edit connections", but nothing happened. I can't figure out what I need to do. (by the way, I posted this using the same computer with Windows 7). Any help would be appreciated.

zeroseven0183
September 4th, 2010, 04:47 AM
Hi! I'd like to ask is wireless your only way to connect to the internet? Since, you will probabl have to download the wireless driver (System > Administration > Hardware Driver).

September 4th, 2010, 05:08 AM
Okay. And yes, wireless is my only way to connect to the internet.

juil
September 4th, 2010, 05:32 AM
Here's some troubleshooting tips if there is no wireless connection shown:
https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/internet/C/troubleshooting.html

Following above will help, hopefully.

And here's general info on how to connect wirelessly which i'm sure you've tried:
https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/internet/C/wireless-connecting.html

September 5th, 2010, 03:07 PM
"Connecting using Network Manager

Network Manager (System → Administration → Network) supports Roaming mode. This allows you to connect to any available wireless network in range.

In the Taskbar click the Network Manager icon.
Select your wireless network from the list.
Enter your Network Key.
Click Connect."

The Network Manager icon disappeared from the taskbar, and there is no System>Administration>Network. There is a "Network tools", but I haven't been able to get it to do anything .

September 5th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Also when I went to the troubleshooting guide it told me to type in "lshw -C network". I did, and it and it told me to become a "super-user". What does that mean?

September 5th, 2010, 03:16 PM
I forgot to put in "sudo", nevermind.

How do I get the Windows wireless driver?

September 5th, 2010, 07:01 PM
I think I downloaded the Windows wireless driver, but the trouble shooting guide says I also need ndisgtk which I can get using the Synaptics package manager. Do I need an internet connection to do that?