PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Gnome - keyboard layout - keys to change layout

a271828
September 3rd, 2010, 08:45 PM
I am using several keyboard layouts. The most comfortable keys for me to do switch are:
Shift+Alt+1
Shift+Alt+2
Shift+Alt+3
How do I configure this?
Thank you.

Silent Warrior
September 3rd, 2010, 09:23 PM
Go to your Keyboard settings. If you already have a layout indicator in your systray/notification area, right-click that one and go to Settings. In the Layout-tab, click the button labelled Options... You should have a window pop up that you can scroll down. Look for 'Key(s) to change layout' - Alt+Shift is listed. Don't ask me what else might need tweaking, though...

a271828
September 3rd, 2010, 10:03 PM
Thank you "Silent Warrior" -- but I know this -- there is not way to get what I need there.

I was able to create "short-cuts" for
Ctlr+Alt+1 and have it run "setxkbmap us"
Ctlr+Alt+3 and have it run "setxkbmap ro"

But this does not really work -- not sure why -- may be because of recent Ubuntu update?
Any ideas?

a271828
September 26th, 2010, 02:26 AM
With above approach there is another problem -- it applies new layout to all windows, but I need it for the active window ONLY.

Anybody any ideas?

Silent Warrior
September 27th, 2010, 02:18 AM
I think the graphical utility - the layout-switcher - can be set to that behaviour. From what you say, though, it doesn't seem like it behaves quite like what you're asking for with regards to hotkeys...

GrouchyGaijin
October 26th, 2010, 09:53 AM
Thank you "Silent Warrior" -- but I know this -- there is not way to get what I need there.

I was able to create "short-cuts" for
Ctlr+Alt+1 and have it run "setxkbmap us"
Ctlr+Alt+3 and have it run "setxkbmap ro"

But this does not really work -- not sure why -- may be because of recent Ubuntu update?
Any ideas?

I'd like to do the same thing but with setxkbmap se and setxkbmap us.

a271828
October 27th, 2010, 04:57 AM
Recently I tried KDE (before I tried Gnome). KDE has exactly the same combinations of keys listed for keyboard layout-switch.

If I try to any custom action for
Shift+Alt+1
Shift+Alt+2
Shift+Alt+3

it does not work (both KDE and Gnome).
Probably the issue lays deeper in X.
Are there any X experts who can explain if there is a way to make those shortcuts working?

avi9526
April 16th, 2011, 03:07 AM
For those people who maybe interesting this now (like me) I find a way to do what described in 1st post using program gxneur, its allow to define individual hotkey for some layout. But, its not works in gksu window and now i have problem with this program in 10.10. So, maybe someone have better ideas?
Really need to get working:
Ctrl+Shift+1 - EN
Ctrl+Shift+2 - RU
Ctrl+Shift+3 - UA

a271828
December 11th, 2011, 06:10 PM
15 months later the problem is not solved yet.
I am using: "setxkbmap ro" mapped to "Ctlr+Alt+3". Other then inconvenience of "Ctrl+Alt" "ro"-layout applies to all windows. Where is flexibility of Gnome?