PDA

View Full Version : Earthquake

lisati
September 3rd, 2010, 08:21 PM
I've just heard that there has been an earthquake in Christchurch (New Zealand), which is something I don't hear of too often for that part of the world. No doubt Mrs Lisati will be concerned for some family members who live in the area - we've spoken with one, but haven't managed to contact another yet.

http://home.nzcity.co.nz/news/article.aspx?id=119381

whiskeylover
September 3rd, 2010, 08:25 PM
Woah! 7.4!

I hope everybody is alright.

Naiki Muliaina
September 3rd, 2010, 08:28 PM
That is a biggey. Thoughts are with your missus family.

pwnst*r
September 3rd, 2010, 08:36 PM
Hoping for the best for your wife's fam.

fatality_uk
September 3rd, 2010, 08:44 PM
Hope you get in contact soon mate!

schtufbox
September 3rd, 2010, 09:38 PM
Whoah! Hope you hear from the other family soon. My well wishes go out to all in the NZ twin of my home town.

samalex
September 3rd, 2010, 09:42 PM
Here it is on the USGS website:
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Quakes/us2010atbj.php

Crazy...

oldsoundguy
September 4th, 2010, 02:59 AM
Since we have more than a handful of Kiwi's here, hope the quake spared you. Been getting some pics from downtown Christchurch, and it isn't pretty. (Sports store looks to be a total loss!)

Having gone through the Loma Prieta quake in San Francisco, I know EXACTLY how you feel right now!

Thoughts and prayers are with you.

cariboo
September 4th, 2010, 03:02 AM
Merged two threads on the same subject.

Our thoughts are with those in New Zealand.

Irihapeti
September 4th, 2010, 04:54 AM
I have a parent, two siblings and a son in or near Christchurch. I've not heard anything from any of them, and I'm not trying to contact any of them because phones will be needed for urgent traffic.

No doubt my son will let me know as soon as possible. He's a bit of a communications junkie.

I had lunch a couple of hours ago with my other son and I think he's finding the not-knowing rather difficult.

Irihapeti
September 4th, 2010, 05:21 AM
Just had an email from son in Christchurch. He is fine, and mainly concerned with how he will replace some broken CDs.

Khakilang
September 4th, 2010, 06:00 AM
My hearts and thought to all Kiwis. Hope there in no casualties.

handy
September 4th, 2010, 07:09 AM
Hopefully there is only minimal structural damage to buildings, & no personal injury whatsoever.

My wife & I spent a bit over 3 weeks in the South Island, a couple of months ago. Whilst there we were told that there are over 1300 (from memory) earthquakes everyday down in the fiord-land region of the South Island, which (again from memory) is the world wide leader in that field due to such a high prevalence.

These earthquakes are so small as to rarely be anything beyond inconsequential & unnoticeable. Though apparently there was one not long before we arrived in the country that moved at least the fiord-land about a foot closer to Oz!

We were also told that the South Island (at least) was 150 years overdue for a monster earth quake. One of the type that causes absolutely enormous amounts of devastation & will apparently move the island(s) somewhat closer to Oz.

Living in a comparatively stable (only one earthquake in my lifetime has really done any damage - Newcastle) country, it is hard to truly comprehend what it must be like to live somewhere where the earth is prone to moving...

Irihapeti
September 4th, 2010, 07:24 AM
Unfortunately, Handy, there is massive property damage and some injuries, at least one of them serious. I believe it will be a while before it's 100% certain that no one is trapped in rubble.

I've still not heard from one of my brothers, though I think, given that he has a senior position, he's going to be extremely busy taking care of things at work.

To me, the whole thing is a stark reminder that we can only plan and control things so far. And also a reminder to be grateful for what I've got, even if it's not glamorous.

KiwiNZ
September 4th, 2010, 08:26 AM
Here is some early photos. There has been extensive damage and approx 20 after shocks some as high as 5.6.
Thankfully no deaths. But to add to the woes a storm is approaching with winds to 120KMH and very heavy rain.

handy
September 4th, 2010, 08:41 AM
Here is some early photos. There has been extensive damage and approx 20 after shocks some as high as 5.6.
Thankfully no deaths. But to add to the woes a storm is approaching with winds to 120KMH and very heavy rain.

People were incredibly fortunate not to have been killed in such devastation.

Hopefully there is enough time before the storm hits to give all who need it protection.

KiwiNZ
September 4th, 2010, 09:06 AM
People were asleep in the house by miracle they are all OK

handy
September 4th, 2010, 09:26 AM
Miracles are my favourite things... :D

sanderella
September 4th, 2010, 10:42 AM
Prayers for you all. [']

rollin
September 4th, 2010, 06:26 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with everyone affected.

scouser73
September 4th, 2010, 06:44 PM
Those that have been affected please take even more care of you and your loved ones.

handy
September 5th, 2010, 02:59 AM
Apparently many people have had to be evacuated due to the risk of disease, from broken sewerage systems & the like.

There really is a nightmare of a mess being dealt with in that gorgeous city at the moment.

There are apparently over 386,000 people living in urban Christchurch. That number really brings home the miracle that so few people have been injured.

lisati
September 5th, 2010, 03:03 AM
I haven't spoken personally with the in-laws who live down that way, but have heard that they're OK.

The strange thing is I don't normally think of the Christchurch and Canterbury areas in connection with earthquakes: I live within an easy walk of a fault line.

KiwiNZ
September 5th, 2010, 04:24 AM
After shocks are continuing some as high as 5.1. And there has been in excess of 60 after shocks.

Sadly there has been one reported fatality from the quake. And several person remain in the critical care units.

Dustin2128
September 5th, 2010, 04:35 AM
...There has been extensive damage...
No joke... I live on a geologically dead moon, so I've never experienced a quake. The very concept just seems strange for some reason. Best wishes to all in NZ.