PDA

View Full Version : wireless connetion search domains field

allsport
September 3rd, 2010, 06:46 PM
Hello,

Very new to this. Please help if you can.

I have installed ubuntu netbook addition and all is good, but when I try to connect to internet I get comcast(my service provider) site. Which means I am connecting to outside world just need to know what to enter in Search Domains field.

All my pc's/laptops at home have 2 DNS names entered for ipvr4 listed in the field but no Search Domains field value specified and it works great off of wireless router.

Well here when I go to IPvr4 tab it seems like I am required to enter value in search domains field. The question is what do I enter there COMCAST domain? Like this one: hsd1.il.comcast.net (http://www.dslreports.com/archive/comcast.net)?

Thanks for all your help

MaindotC
September 3rd, 2010, 07:36 PM
You don't have to enter anything. Comcast sends you DHCP information which will be listed in /etc/resolv.conf amongst other places. Just leave it as is.

allsport
September 3rd, 2010, 07:48 PM
thanks for the reply,

thing is on my other laptop (windows) if i left it blank (automatic) I get to comcast page. if I switch to manual and enter dns names it works!

So I wanted to do the same thing here by changing my connection (my home network settings) same way as I do on windows. but here it seems like it requires search domains field otherwise apply button is disabled.

Don't know what to enter there. Can I enter same value as in DNS names field?

Any thoughts?

MaindotC
September 3rd, 2010, 08:12 PM
You shouldn't have to enter anything! Comcast will send you the information you need via a protocol called DHCP. I'm probably misunderstanding what's going on here but you shouldn't need to enter anything. Can you take a screenshot of this "search domains" field you speak of?

allsport
September 3rd, 2010, 09:18 PM
Attached is the screen shot from windows where I need to specify DNS names in order for the Internet to work. here you only have 2 fields to fill out, but in Ubuntu if you go to ipv4 tab in wireless settings it has another field Search Domains. I'll get the screen shot when I get to my laptop in an hour or so

Thanks for all your help.

MaindotC
September 5th, 2010, 02:39 AM
In windows you should be choosing "obtain DNS server addresses automatically". In Ubuntu, choose Method: Automatic (DHCP). You really should have no reason for editing these settings and please leave them all to automatic.