PDA

View Full Version : Firefox incompatible websites

towsonu2003
April 7th, 2006, 10:56 PM
I was trying to register for free toefl practice tests at toeflpractice.ets.org but they block anyone not using IE. So I tried user agent switcher (did not work), reported the site to firefox (help>report broken websites) and than tried to find a template email to send to toefl so they fix their web site bug. I know there is template email messages somewhere in mozilla.org, but googling didn't bring the link up... So I wrote mine.

I decided to but the email / letter template here so that others looking for a template for writing such emails can use it. here it is:

Dear Sir or Madam,

I will take the TOEFL examination in a few days. While I was trying to
register at toeflpractice.ets.org to be able to practice for the new
toefl ibt test, I was denied access on the grounds that only Internet
Explorer users can get in this web site. I am using firefox and cannot
switch to Internet Explorer due to the fact that I am a Linux user.

Currently, 10% of all internet users use firefox as their default
internet browser. This rate is ever increasing. Firefox is compatible
with a broad range of operating system, including Windows, Linux, and
BSD. Furthermore, firefox is the only browser suggested by NSA as
compatible with their security standards. Compared to firefox,
Internet Explorer has far more unresolved security vulnerabilities and
it is the most common target of any web-based security attacks.

By blocking access of firefox users to toeflpractice.ets.org, you are
not only denying freedom to access to me. You are also blocking out
all users who have Linux, BSD, or other opertaing systems, as well as
all users who are concerned with their own online security enough not
to use Internet Explorer. The message that this situation conveys
about your organization's concerns on its users and its own security
is not very satisfying...

Your decision to block non-internet-explorer-users from this site
denied my right to freely practice the new TOEFL IBT. I strongly urge
you to recode your site at toeflpractice.ets.org to make it Firefox
compatible ASAP. Doing so will enable you to have a much broader range
of users. It will also increase the reputation of your organization
among security-aware internet users.

Thank you,

Sincerely.

Just wanted to share, nothing more :)

Oh, and, if you find that template emails fro mozilla.org, link it here so its google rank goes up and others googling for it can find it :) thanks.

PS. You can see the initial "welcome" page. Put an email address to the first field you see (enable javascript for ets.org) and hit submit for the "no-more-welcoming" page...

aysiu
April 7th, 2006, 11:10 PM
They're really not very open at all, are they? From that website (http://toeflpractice.ets.org/):
This site requires Microsoft Windows 98, NT, 2000, XP, or 2003. Browsers supported include Internet Explorer V5.01 or later, and AOL V6.0 or later. All products that include speaking require IE6.

WildTangent
April 7th, 2006, 11:55 PM
They're really not very open at all, are they? From that website (http://toeflpractice.ets.org/):
Uhh...I can view it...and I don't have a user-agent switcher.

-Wild

towsonu2003
April 8th, 2006, 12:03 AM

put an email address to the adequate field and hit "submit" (you need javascript enabled at least for ets.org). You'll see the white screen of foxkill ;)

I think the issue was more about registering to take the practice test, not just viewing the opening page.
:oops: my bad (not enough info on original post). I'm a little stressed out due to the new and ever-stupid speaking section. I hate speaking (in any language)... *ducks, then runs aways*

PS. edited original post to include this info.

aysiu
April 8th, 2006, 12:03 AM

-Wild I think the issue was more about registering to take the practice test, not just viewing the opening page.

BoyOfDestiny
April 8th, 2006, 06:45 AM
Hmm indeed, just clicking submit produces this.

Your browser version is not supported by this site. This site requires Internet Explorer V5.01 or later, or AOL V6.0 or later. Please click one of the following links to upgrade Internet Explorer or AOL to the latest version.

Your operating system is not supported by this site. This site requires one of the following operating systems

Windows Media Player is required by this site, and does not appear to be installed on your system. You can download the latest Windows Media Player from the following link:

Sad.

jeremy
April 8th, 2006, 08:20 AM
When I see things like that I am tempted to make sites that will not support windows or ie!

darrenrxm
April 8th, 2006, 01:56 PM
http://www.mtv.ca also does not work with ubuntu. This is the message you get

"Detecting OS...
In order to offer a broad selection of full-length music videos on-demand and free of charge, MTV Overdrive uses Windows Digital Rights Management (DRM) to protect videos from unauthorized re-distribution.

Unfortunately, Microsoft's Windows Media Player Plug-in for Unix does not support Windows DRM. If DRM support becomes available, MTV will develop a version of MTV Overdrive that works for your operating system."

Are you guys sure that I can't get those videos on your site from somewhere else? And they don't have to disable the ENTIRE site just because im running linux. Even if you don't have any plug-ins installed you still get the same message.

towsonu2003
April 9th, 2006, 07:25 PM
http://www.mtv.ca also does not work with ubuntu. This is the message you get

"Detecting OS...
In order to offer a broad selection of full-length music videos on-demand and free of charge, MTV Overdrive uses Windows Digital Rights Management (DRM) to protect videos from unauthorized re-distribution.

Unfortunately, Microsoft's Windows Media Player Plug-in for Unix does not support Windows DRM. If DRM support becomes available, MTV will develop a version of MTV Overdrive that works for your operating system."

Are you guys sure that I can't get those videos on your site from somewhere else? And they don't have to disable the ENTIRE site just because im running linux. Even if you don't have any plug-ins installed you still get the same message.
try the user agent extension to let them think you are running windows + IE... ?

bonzodog
April 9th, 2006, 08:17 PM
I have found another one that gives me the message:

Sorry!

Travelsupermarket is currently not compatible with your system or current web browser version.

This is a site I was looking at for air fares to the UK, called travelsupermarket.com, which uses java web pages, with an asp server.

majikstreet
April 10th, 2006, 09:34 PM
When I see things like that I am tempted to make sites that will not support windows or ie!
I feel the same...

In addition, I want people who port linux software to windows to make the windows versions crippled MUAHAHAAA!

seiser
March 16th, 2007, 03:30 PM
I'm having the same problem at the www.toeflpractice.org site. I wrote them an email, but they're pretty nasty. See the email & answer:
http://www.biazed.com/blog/blogs/index.php?blog=2&title=the_toefl_test_1&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1