PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade to 10.04 and on start desktop does not startup

darrowj
September 3rd, 2010, 01:15 PM
I recently updated to Ubuntu 10.04. On this same machine I've used Ubuntu for 3 or 4 years now. Upgrading from 8 - 9 - 10. I love Ubuntu and use it as my everyday work environment.

Anyway, recently when I start my machine in the morning it boots to commandline instead of the desktop. For the last couple days I boot to safe-mode and do a package repair. Sometimes more than once. Eventually I get the desktop to start but it is annoying.

When trying to boot to Fail Safe Graphics Mode(?) I get an error stating: "Fatal Server Error: No Screens." The message referred me to /var/log/Xorg/failsafe.log. Here is a snippet of the end of that log file:

(II) VESA(0): Not using built-in mode "320x200" (illegal horizontal timings)
(EE) VESA(0): No valid modes
(II) UnloadModule: "vesa"
(II) UnloadModule: "int10"
(II) Unloading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libint10.so
(II) UnloadModule: "vbe"
(II) Unloading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libvbe.so
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

Also, I'm using an NVidia graphics card on an HP machine. I installed the "current version" accelerated graphics driver which it says is proprietary.

quixote
September 6th, 2010, 03:33 AM
I've had better luck with the open source nvidia driver than with Nvidia's own. Seriously. Next time you're reinstalling drivers anyway, you could try getting "xserver-xorg-video-nouveau" in synaptic, or running at the command line:
sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-nouveau(If you're in recovery mode, you won't need the "sudo" part.

Be nice if that was all it took!