PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] DNS Settings

cuddlybear
September 3rd, 2010, 12:37 PM
New to ubuntu (8.04) tried to set my DNS settings by editing resolv.conf and it works fine until shut down. When rebooting the settings go back to default.
My home network is setup with a Belkin Router and the DNS settings are provided by my ISP and have been setup with the router.How can you make the DNS settings Default ?.

Thanks for any help

CharlesA
September 3rd, 2010, 12:41 PM
DNS should be assigned via DHCP on the router.

Also note that there is a newer version of Ubuntu out, 10.04, is there any reason why you are using 8.04?

Can you post the output of this:

cat /etc/resolv.conf

cuddlybear
September 3rd, 2010, 12:50 PM
The DNS settings are setup in the Router and the system is only a Pentium 3 CPU and 512 of ram would be ok for 10.04?

Thanks

CharlesA
September 3rd, 2010, 12:55 PM
The minimum amount of RAM is 256MB, so you should be fine in that aspect.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LucidLynx/ReleaseNotes

Even if 10.04 doesn't work, you could always check out 9.04 or 9.10, as they are both newer then 8.04.

For comparison, my /etc/resolv.conf file looks like this:

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
# Generated by NetworkManager
domain asgard.lcl
search asgard.lcl
nameserver 192.168.1.1

jtarin
September 3rd, 2010, 12:59 PM
In the terminal enter

gksudo gedit /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf

Edit the line:that starts with "prepend domain-name-servers" remove everything on the line after that and replace with your DNS nameservers.
Note the comma seperating the two and the semi-colon at the end. (Im using Googles nameservers)

prepend domain-name-servers 8.8.8.8,8.8.4.4;

philinux
September 3rd, 2010, 12:59 PM
New to ubuntu (8.04) tried to set my DNS settings by editing resolv.conf and it works fine until shut down. When rebooting the settings go back to default.
My home network is setup with a Belkin Router and the DNS settings are provided by my ISP and have been setup with the router.How can you make the DNS settings Default ?.

Thanks for any help

To do this use the network manager. Right click>Edit connections.Edit then ipv4 connections.

I use googles dns servers. Choose Automatic (DHCP) addresses only 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4

This will then generate resolv.conf

Someone uk
September 3rd, 2010, 01:02 PM
in terms of your os even though the minimum settings say 512 i would recommend more ram or a memory efficient build like xubuntu

in terms of your DNS settings if it's really causing trouble you can use any pair of dns servers
the ones i use are 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (kindly provided by google)

cuddlybear
September 3rd, 2010, 02:34 PM
hi Charles A
Thanks for your help,changed DNS settings in network settings then used
code $ cat /etc/resolv.conf and it shows the correct DNS settings but when I close down and reboot it goes back to the old settings.

jtarin
September 3rd, 2010, 02:36 PM
hi Charles A
Thanks for your help,changed DNS settings in network settings then used
code $ cat /etc/resolv.conf and it shows the correct DNS settings but when I close down and reboot it goes back to the old settings.
I told you how to do it. ;)