PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wi-fi network ceases to be available upon configuration

kudzu
September 3rd, 2010, 09:50 AM
Hey everyone,

I have my new router all set up, and everything is working fine, but I'm having problems adding a password to the network.

The network from the wireless router is called "auto dlink" by default, and I've tried through the Gnome interface to add a WEP 40/128-bit key that I generated through a website. As soon as I apply the change to the network, the connection drops, so I click on the "auto dlink" network again to connect, and it successfully does, but it never asks me for the key that I configured it to ask for. After checking the network connections history, it shows me as having connected to two different "auto dlink" networks at different times - the one that I added the key to, which is no longer available, and a new one that I am currently connected to, that does not have a key. Every time I try to make a change to "auto dlink," be it a change to the security or to the network name, the change registers and applies, but the network ceases to be available and is instead replaced by a new, default configuration of "auto dlink." I've searched for "how-to"s on the matter, but I haven't found one that addresses my situation yet. Would anyone mind helping me with this?

I'm running Ubuntu 9.10.

ssrikant71
September 3rd, 2010, 09:55 AM
am an utter novice with Linux or Ubuntu. Just finished installing Ubuntu 10.04 on my laptop. I am able to connect to my ISP (broadband) through wireless router. It shows as connected on ubuntu interface. Inspite of this, most unfortunately, Firefox is unable to load web pages. I understand that this requires installing a driver called "iwlwifi" which is included in Linux kernel. How do I instal this driver? Please give me a list of simple steps if you can. Also read about ndiswrapper and I am all jumbled up with linux jargon. Pl help me resolve my issue. I shall be eternally grateful for your assistance.

kudzu
September 3rd, 2010, 10:00 AM
I think you're going to need to create a new topic for your problem, ssrikant71. I don't think your issue is related to mine.

kudzu
September 4th, 2010, 06:42 AM
Any suggestions, anyone?