PDA

View Full Version : Red Hat

new2linux2009
April 7th, 2006, 08:46 PM
what problem did you have with Red Hat? I think it is the best distro and you can get 9 for free now?

new2linux2009
April 7th, 2006, 08:52 PM
Let's turn that question around--why do you need a separate root account? Mac OS X and Ubuntu user the sudo model, and it makes a lot more sense. Read more here:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RootSudo

Because your hardware wasn't designed for Ubuntu. It was probably designed for Windows. It's a miracle Ubuntu works as well as it does on so many systems. You don't need to.
Let's turn your answer around Ubuntu wasn't designed for his hardware

aysiu
April 7th, 2006, 08:53 PM
what problem did you have with Red Hat? I think it is the best distro and you can get 9 for free now? Can you define what "the best distros" means?

new2linux2009
April 7th, 2006, 08:57 PM
It means that it actually works with your hardware and doesn't mess up your screen resolution

aysiu
April 7th, 2006, 09:02 PM
Edit: Duplicate post. Ignore.

aysiu
April 7th, 2006, 09:03 PM
It means that it actually works with your hardware and doesn't mess up your screen resolution No. It means that it actually works on your hardware and doesn't mess up your screen resolution. Ubuntu works fine on a lot of other people's hardware.

You can't assume that your experience with Ubuntu is everybody's experience with Ubuntu. Same goes for Red Hat.

In fact, I'd say everything works out of the box for about 37% of the users on these forums. (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=110161)

new2linux2009
April 7th, 2006, 09:09 PM
and neither can you!:twisted:

new2linux2009
April 7th, 2006, 09:13 PM
In fact, I'd say everything works out of the box for about 37% of the users on these forums. (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=110161)[/QUOTE]

You obviously have a problem with math try 33 percent (at this moment) and that means that the remaining 67 percent had problems.

aysiu
April 7th, 2006, 09:18 PM
and neither can you! Which is why I polled Ubuntu users for their experiences. And I never said Ubuntu was "the best distro." You did, however, say Red Hat was "the best distro."

You obviously have a problem with math try 33 percent (at this moment) and that means that the remaining 67 percent had problems. Yes, I did misread that. It's not a problem with math. I just didn't see it right. You've obviously never made such a mistake in your life. Sorry.

If you actually take the time to read the thread, most people had only one or two problems that they fixed in a short time.

Are you really going to make the case that anyone using Red Hat is unlikely to encounter any hardware detection problems? If so, please substantiate that claim with more than just your own personal experience.

pbaehr
April 7th, 2006, 09:22 PM
Furthermore, if we're going to nitpick, when you round 33.93% to the nearest whole percentage it would be 34%.

If you're such a fan of Red Hat shouldn't you be starting pointless arguments on a forum dedicated to that instead?

KingBahamut
April 7th, 2006, 10:25 PM
new2linux2009, is there a discussion here?

Redhat 9 - Dated Kernel and Dated packages.

Stable, but not up to date.

mstlyevil
April 7th, 2006, 10:30 PM

Stable, but not up to date.

I moved these threads here because they went off topic from the op's original discussion. Aysiu requested the move by reporting the post.

bjweeks
April 7th, 2006, 10:30 PM
Was this cut from another thread? It doesn't make much sense.

Edit: Guess so.

aysiu
April 7th, 2006, 10:31 PM

Stable, but not up to date. I think it's about two years old, right?

Shouldn't Red Hat fans be using Fedora now?

KingBahamut
April 7th, 2006, 10:41 PM
Aysiu, yes. Essentially Fedora Core 1 is upgrade stat half from redhat 9. You could call fedora core 1 basically redhat 9.5.