PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] How to change Gnome login screen theme?

Lawlerito
September 3rd, 2010, 04:33 AM
So, here's the story: I did some messing about with the ambiance-maverick-beta theme and it worked fine, but the login screen, missing the default Ambiance theme, defaulted to Clearlooks. Clearlooks. So, I tried upgrading to Maverick, thinking it would default the login screen to the new themes. No such luck. Help, please!

sisco311
September 3rd, 2010, 04:35 AM
Add gnome-appearance-properties to GDM's autostart directory:

sudo ln -s /usr/share/applications/gnome-appearance-properties.desktop /usr/share/gdm/autostart/LoginWindow/

Log out. The appearance properties window should show up on the GDM screen.

Configure GDM how you want, then close the window and log back in.

When you're done and want the window to stop opening with GDM, run:

sudo unlink /usr/share/gdm/autostart/LoginWindow/gnome-appearance-properties.desktop

Lawlerito
September 3rd, 2010, 04:42 AM
Thank you. That worked perfectly. Changing my thread's status to solved.

EDIT: Wow. A problem solved in under 10 minutes. This forum really is awesome.

keildozer
September 4th, 2010, 01:01 AM
that didn't help me much I want to totally transform it. Basically I want customize layout and style like some of the stuff on Gnome-Look.org .

Lawlerito
September 4th, 2010, 01:05 AM
that didn't help me much I want to totally transform it. Basically I want customize layout and style like some of the stuff on Gnome-Look.org .
You could do that in older versions.

keildozer
September 4th, 2010, 01:12 AM
Well is there another OS similar to Ubuntu that allows that?

Lawlerito
September 4th, 2010, 02:15 AM
Well is there another OS similar to Ubuntu that allows that?
Try Debian.

sisco311
September 4th, 2010, 05:09 AM

The new GDM (>=2.28) is not compatible with the old themes. You either wait until someone creates new GDM themes or try to create new themes yourself.

It's not so hard, changing the GTK theme, background, mouse cursor, etc. is trivial & if you want to customize the "simple greeter", you could edit the /usr/share/gdm/gdm-greeter-login-window.ui file with GLADE.