PDA

View Full Version : Who upgraded to Ubuntu Beta 1 too? :D

TheNerdAL
September 3rd, 2010, 03:17 AM
I did today and it wasn't that bad. It didn't boot up right but I searched it on Google and found the solution! :D

It still has some bugs but it's still quite usable.

Have you upgraded yet?

Discuss here! :D

phrostbyte
September 3rd, 2010, 03:18 AM
Not on production machines just yet. :p

TheNerdAL
September 3rd, 2010, 03:25 AM
Not on production machines just yet. :p

I upgraded on my main computer. :P

sandyd
September 3rd, 2010, 03:44 AM
i will test it, but since kde 4.5 (svn) is still compiling, im gonna have to wait until I get some form of GUI running. before I can emerge virtualbox.

Noz3001
September 3rd, 2010, 03:53 AM
Yeah, it's quite buggy =|

slooksterpsv
September 3rd, 2010, 04:00 AM
I downloaded the 64-bit DVD ISO. I like the new setup, except the end part (when doing a virtualbox install) where it shows what it's doing during the install, couldn't see that as it was below the viewing area.

Overall, it's fast, due to the 2.6.35 kernel, it feels optimized, but it is buggy still (and will never be perfect cause no OS is perfectly bug free =D, but Ubuntu is the closest it will get =D).

I can't wait to put it on my big computer (later tonight)

NightwishFan
September 3rd, 2010, 04:32 AM
I installed from daily and use it day to day. I want to get some attention to some upstream bugs I have with 2.6.35 (upstream as in for all systems not just ubuntu).

As for Ubuntu specific bugs, I have used every development version since Gutsy and there are not as many visible ones. I quite like it.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
September 3rd, 2010, 05:21 AM
I'll wait. It's taken me a while to hone 10.04 into a perfect (for me) state. I'll download 10.10 when it's released. For now, Gnome is Gnome is Gnome.

lovinglinux
September 3rd, 2010, 05:48 AM
I just did a fresh install, a hour ago. Looks fine to me, although I'm using a kde-minimal installation. No Gnome and lots of other stuff.

BTW, I only do fresh installs and only install development releases as my main system during beta phase.

I'm also using Firefox 4 beta too, which is not included and will not be included in the final Maverick. Firefox 4 rocks!

ElSlunko
September 4th, 2010, 09:35 AM
Both gnome & kde flavours crashed hard on me. I usually have good luck with betas just not this one.

AllRadioisDead
September 4th, 2010, 10:41 AM
I'm using it right now, works fine.

andymorton
September 4th, 2010, 10:45 AM
I'm using it right now, works fine.

Me too. No problems so far.

ElSlunko
September 4th, 2010, 11:02 AM
I did today and it wasn't that bad. It didn't boot up right but I searched it on Google and found the solution! :D

It still has some bugs but it's still quite usable.

Have you upgraded yet?

Discuss here! :D

I was having boot issues too. What was your problem?

DeadlyWolf
September 4th, 2010, 11:45 AM
Me too. No problems so far.

Me too. Best Ubuntu I have used. :D

fatality_uk
September 4th, 2010, 12:09 PM
I upgraded on my main computer. :P

WOW!!!

Anyway, it sits on a VM for me for feedback

Arvie
September 4th, 2010, 12:16 PM
Did a clean install of the beta yesterday. First attempt failed: installer got stuck at about 2/3rd. Then did a 'try Ubuntu 10.10' from live-USB and installed from there by clicking on 'install' icon. Made sure internet connection was working, which seemed to help. Glitch: installer slide show cut off right part of text(on my Asus eeepc 900; YMMV). For the basic stuff that I use, the beta is running fine. No huge differences with 10.04, so stick to the LTS if stability is important.

Motomouse
September 4th, 2010, 12:17 PM
Put the 64bit ISO on a stick and partitioned my second hd with the stick for a parallel install. I like to take risks ;)

Booted fine, put up the nvidia driver, lookin good so far.

Regards
Ralph

armageddon08
September 4th, 2010, 01:17 PM
I think there is a bug in the "About Ubuntu" & the "Help & Support" application as the fonts of the menu in those apps is all messed up- they are all boxes.

Also, any idea why the Ubuntu font isn't available?

Motomouse
September 4th, 2010, 02:48 PM
Hey, and it even supports my Nokia 5800 (usb mass storage) and it has packages for opencv 2.1. I like it!

DoeNietWil
September 4th, 2010, 03:44 PM
I'm also using Firefox 4 beta too, which is not included and will not be included in the final Maverick. Firefox 4 rocks!

WHAT??
What browser will be used in maverick instead of Fx?

stmiller
September 4th, 2010, 03:54 PM
I upgraded- so far so good! The only bad thing for me is that it installed pulseaudio after I had previously removed it.

Probably due to some dependencies or such, but no prob.

Naiki Muliaina
September 4th, 2010, 04:12 PM
Downloaded the beta ISO, will be installing this afternoon. :)

QwUo173Hy
September 4th, 2010, 05:15 PM
WHAT??
He means Firefox4 won't be default for Maverick. Not Firefox in general.

Linye
September 4th, 2010, 06:16 PM
Nope, maybe after its final release, maybe.

lovinglinux
September 4th, 2010, 10:28 PM
WHAT??

Firefox 3.6

Firefox 4, which has a lot of new features, new UI, new extension manager is planned to be released in November, so it won't make into Maverick. Firefox 4 Beta 4 is already available for download tho.

sandyd
September 5th, 2010, 02:27 AM
Firefox 3.6

Firefox 4, which has a lot of new features, new UI, new extension manager is planned to be released in November, so it won't make into Maverick. Firefox 4 Beta 4 is already available for download tho.
curiously, do you know where I can get ebuilds for firefox 4.0 under gentoo?
Gentoo normally releases beta stuff masked into portage, but it seems that they don't have it... yet

jerenept
September 5th, 2010, 02:34 AM
Firefox 3.6

What are you talking about? I'm using Firefox 4 beta6-pre.

I love Maverick. its awesome.

Noz3001
September 5th, 2010, 02:38 AM
Lack of proprietary ATI driver disturbs me..

Jesus_Valdez
September 5th, 2010, 05:48 AM
Maybe Im missing something, but aren't they gonna start upgrading to the latest Firefox version?

I remember reading something in that vein, that they are going to start uploading the latest Firefox to the official repositories.

So, Firefox 4 is going to be there when is ready.

lovinglinux
September 5th, 2010, 05:50 AM
What are you talking about? I'm using Firefox 4 beta6-pre.

I love Maverick. its awesome.

The currently official beta version (http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/beta/) released by Mozilla is Firefox 4.0b4. The 4.0b5 is to be officially released on Tuesday (https://wiki.mozilla.org/Releases). Nevertheless, you can get the first candidate build from the nightly repository (ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/4.0b5-candidates/). Consequently, the 4.0b6pre, is already available from mozilla-central (ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/latest-mozilla-central/) and ubuntu-mozilla-daily (https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-mozilla-daily/+archive/ppa).

Bottom line, you only have Firefox 4.0b6pre because you have included ubuntu-mozilla-daily repository in your sources list. This means you are running Firefox 4 side-by-side with Firefox 3.6 and using a cloned user profile.

The default Firefox version of Maverick is 3.6 and will continue to be when Maverick gets released.

On a side note, running Firefox 4.0beta6pre or any other 4.0pre version is highly not recommended, because Firefox 4 is under heavy development and several things are changing, drastically. So I would recommend running the official 4.0b4 for now or the 4.0b5 candidate.

BTW, I'm running 4.0b5 candidate build 1.

lovinglinux
September 5th, 2010, 05:54 AM
Maybe Im missing something, but aren't they gonna start upgrading to the latest Firefox version?

I remember reading something in that vein, that they are going to start uploading the latest Firefox to the official repositories.

So, Firefox 4 is going to be there when is ready.

No it won't. The only reason Canonical pushed Firefox 3.6 to Hardy, Jaunty is because Firefox 3.0 reached end-of-life and is no longer supported by Mozilla. The last version released was 3.0.19.

There is no reason to upgrade Firefox 3.6 to 4 while 3.6 is still supported by Mozilla and the developers already said they won't (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9666954&postcount=9).

marl30
September 5th, 2010, 06:30 AM
I tried it out for an hour before going back to 10.04. It has quite a number of bugs. I also don't like the fact that the Software Center in 10.10 now handles all .Deb installation.