PDA

View Full Version : do you like obsessivley changing your desktop theme?

Dustin2128
September 3rd, 2010, 03:04 AM
I change my theme quite frequently, hopping from gnome to kde to fluxbox to ratpoision to awesome on a near daily baisis. I'm just wondering: How often do you totally revamp the look of your desktop? Here's my current theme, awesome with xwinwrap providing a video matrix wallpaper.

Legendary_Bibo
September 3rd, 2010, 03:09 AM
I used to, but then I finally found a combination of themes and icons that doesn't look screwy anywhere. The most I'll do is change my Cairo-Dock color to match the wallpaper. I don't even change my gnomenu button or its' menu.

The Thunder Chimp
September 3rd, 2010, 03:10 AM
I use a Grey-Blue theme which is easy on the eyes (Grey is easy on the eyes). Haven't changed it for around 6 months (been on Ubuntu for 9 months).

mamamia88
September 3rd, 2010, 03:25 AM
I change it pretty radically maybe once a year. it gets boring looking at same screen all the time

TheNerdAL
September 3rd, 2010, 03:52 AM
I mostly used the Elementary theme but then I moved to the new Ubuntu Light Theme! I might use that until I find something better. :P

I change my wallpaper and dock them frequently though.

RiceMonster
September 3rd, 2010, 03:54 AM
I used to change it once or twice a week, but now I rarely change themes at all.

drawkcab
September 3rd, 2010, 03:56 AM
Once or twice a year I'll screw around with it, especially after a new version of Ubuntu is released.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Go do something more worthwhile with your time.

Frogs Hair
September 3rd, 2010, 04:01 AM
I change wall paper a lot , but when I find a window border and control theme I like I tend to stick with it. Finding window borders is the hardest part not being a fan Ambiance , Radiance or Elementary .

drawkcab
September 3rd, 2010, 04:03 AM
:d

KiwiNZ
September 3rd, 2010, 04:03 AM
No , only my Wallpaper

Whistling Nixie
September 3rd, 2010, 04:16 AM
Although I spent months experimenting with different themes and backgrounds, I've finally settled on a combination I'm content with, so I don't see the need to change desktop elements anymore.

BrockStrongo
September 3rd, 2010, 04:33 AM
When I first started using ubuntu I would change themes all the time, I was like a crackhead for icons and emerald themes. Eventually I got the help I needed, and today, I still have the default 10.04 theme. Thanks Intervention :)

Jesus_Valdez
September 3rd, 2010, 04:43 AM
Sure, it's the fun part about Ubuntu.

Austin25
September 3rd, 2010, 06:10 AM
I like making wallpapers. Here's mine.

Khakilang
September 3rd, 2010, 06:38 AM
Nah! It is still the way it was when I install it. I spend my time on other things and the forum is one.

standingwave
September 3rd, 2010, 08:50 AM
I did for about the first year but I settled down, found a configuration that works for me and hardly even think about it anymore.

Naiki Muliaina
September 3rd, 2010, 09:51 AM
i change theme as often as i change my pants. About once or twice a year then.... >.>

Seriously though, used to change it all the time. Ambience and radience are good enough for me to keep though so never change from radience post set up on home pc, ambience for work pcs.

julio_cortez
September 3rd, 2010, 09:54 AM
Once or twice a year I'll screw around with it, especially after a new version of Ubuntu is released.
I don't really change themes much. I've had the default theme (with a green wallpaper) on Kubuntu, and the default theme on Ubuntu.

Then, some weeks ago, I tried out Dust Sand and I liked it so I'm now running a slightly modified version of it (everything is Dust Sand except for the terminal being 100% transparent, for the wallpaper which is another default one and for the buttons being on the left) planning to keep it for the longer time possible.

Even in Windows XP (when I had it installed) I disabled the "themes" service using the "Windows classic" theme (with grey title bar, the only modification I made to the default classic theme) and in Windows 7 I've been using the "Architecture" theme since day 1.

murderslastcrow
September 3rd, 2010, 11:01 AM
I used to change them every few weeks, if that's obsessive. However, since I started using Oxygen on KDE 4, I haven't needed another theme.

However, as KDE 4 offers so many options so fluidly to alter the functionality and appearance of panels, color schemes, icons, etc., I find that still, every few weeks, I may look for a new plasma/icon theme and color scheme.

However, as it's so easy to do and takes only a minute (very simple process in KDE 4) it means I can afford the luxury. I'm a designer, so I tend to value the look of where I live, so it only follows that where my software lives should feel elegant and integrated as well. The response to what you see strongly effects your perception of what you're doing.

Spice Weasel
September 3rd, 2010, 11:07 AM
Not really, too used to my current setup.

samalex
September 3rd, 2010, 03:09 PM
I'm a creature of comfort, so when I get things settled I normally keep them static. I do like to switch-out my wallpaper from time to time, but that's about it.

Simian Man
September 3rd, 2010, 03:23 PM
I use (a modified) Shiki-Colors and Gnome-Colors desktop. It comes in a few different colors so I switch the color scheme and wallpaper to match each other. I never leave that setup though.

YuiDaoren
September 3rd, 2010, 03:31 PM
I do not like obsessively switching my themes and wallpaper. I simply can not resist the compulsion. :cry:

jrusso2
September 3rd, 2010, 03:49 PM
When I install something I like I will set up colors or theme and leave it until the next install.

llawwehttam
September 3rd, 2010, 03:59 PM
Once I find a theme I like I change the wallpaper once a week but very rarely change the theme.