PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] GRAPHS in open office not viewable to Word users!

blagosphere
September 3rd, 2010, 12:07 AM
I have to write lab reports with charts and graphs on a regular basis. i did the first one in open office recently but the charts did not appear on my teachers screen! it was a broken failed half rendered blank chart area! I need help. I know this is probably not the forum section for this but it is multimedia and i need help quick. I love ubuntu and it would be a horrid inconvenience to have to make my labs on another windows machine.

The data tables copied fine but the graphs did not. i made both in spreadsheet and copy pasted them over to a writer document.

UBUNTU COMMUNITY I NEED YOU GUYS!

scorp123
September 3rd, 2010, 12:16 PM
Use PDF's. Always.

Adobe PDF is the only document format where you have a guarantee that a file will look absolutely the same on anyone else's screen as it did look on your's.

No other format can guarantee you that.

You want to learn from a pro? (= me = Linux user since 1996, professional Unix admin since 1998, worked for Hewlett-Packard Europe 2000-2007, since 2007 working for an Oracle partner ... ) ... Then use PDF.

Never failed me. And trust me: On my job I do a lot of presentations, papers, texts, documentations, and what not. Technical, pre-sales, post-sales, support, competitive analysis, escalations, post-mortem ... and I have to exchange files with a lot of people.

And I use OpenOffice too. But I always distribute my files as PDF. And it never failed me.

I bet it should not be too hard for your teacher to have Adobe Reader installed on his system? Most people have that these days. Other OS such as Mac OS X have a PDF-viewer already built-in right from start. On Mac OS X it's the Preview application; Linux users usually have something like Evince.

PDF's even work on most modern smartphones, e.g. Android or iPhones. So if really necessary you can show your documents even on a small phone screen and they will still look tip top.

As I said: no other document format can give you that.

Hagar Delest
September 4th, 2010, 10:31 PM
+1. Keep working in native ODF and export as PDF.

If you really need to send a .doc, paste as a GDI Metafile, it should be better. But since the .doc format was not public until recently, the import/export filters have been reverse engineered. Therefore, be prepared to face some glitches if you want to use the MS Office file format.