PDA

View Full Version : µtorrent

renkinjutsu
September 2nd, 2010, 10:57 PM
μtorrent has released an alpha for linux! It's commandline only though hmm.. i don't have the mu character.
http://www.utorrent.com/downloads/linux

medic2000
September 2nd, 2010, 11:11 PM
Great news! They are fast man :)

Bachstelze
September 2nd, 2010, 11:42 PM
Good news, though I don't think they're going to put a lot of effort into it since the Windows version runs perfectly in WINE (utorrent in WINE is actually the best graphical BT client on Linux IMO).

lovinglinux
September 2nd, 2010, 11:57 PM
I have been supporting the idea of a Linux version of uTorrent (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1476329). Nevertheless, I probably won't use it anyway, since I'm really happy now with qBittorrent. I have already used uTorrent (win), Vuze, Deluge and Ktorrent, but I have settled on qBitTorrent recently. This is the fastest client I ever used.

Anyway, nice that BitTorrent Inc is keeping their promise.

I guess most uTorrent users would like to see a graphical interface. Let's hope they make one soon.

Source: http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=83506

When we started our Idea Bank a few months ago, a Linux version was immediately the most requested feature, and has stayed #1 ever since. This morning, we are announcing a preview release of the first of two new products for Linux users. µTorrent Server, an alpha version available immediately for download here, is intended for users seeking a fast, commandline only BitTorrent client with remote web-based management. If you prefer a more traditional experience, rest assured we are working hard to build a full-featured GUI client.

This is a native Linux port and is known to work on Ubuntu 9.10+, Debian 5+ and Fedora 12+. Others may work, but they are not officially supported. Kernel 2.6.13 or newer required. 64-bit host systems currently have some problems, so 32-bit only for now.
For trackers who whitelist, the user agent is uTorrent/300B(build#)(server)
The peerid is identical to the Windows 3.0 client.
The versioning starts with 3.0 because the codebase is in sync with 3.0 on the Windows client.

Release Notes

Native Linux port!

Headless daemon with WebUI support for remote management

Known Issues

Auto-updates do not work yet

May not work reliably on 64-bit host systems

cariboo
September 3rd, 2010, 12:25 AM
Fixed the thread title.

juancarlospaco
September 3rd, 2010, 01:45 AM
You can write a GUI wrapper for these...

Dustin2128
September 3rd, 2010, 02:01 AM
meh.

jrusso2
September 3rd, 2010, 02:43 AM
Good news, though I don't think they're going to put a lot of effort into it since the Windows version runs perfectly in WINE (utorrent in WINE is actually the best graphical BT client on Linux IMO).

It does not work in WINE here.

Dayofswords
September 3rd, 2010, 02:44 AM
I'm happy with deluge...

v1ad
September 3rd, 2010, 02:47 AM

qbittorrent, i actually prefer it better.

drawkcab
September 3rd, 2010, 03:58 AM
I like transmission and deluge quite a bit now. I would have been all over this a few years ago, however.

donniezazen
October 7th, 2010, 08:45 PM
The alpha version does not seem to be taking instruction from utserver.conf. I am using Maverick. Can this alpha release change location of file being downloaded, speed and what particular files to download. There seems to be some CPU hog too. What do you guys think?

Tak11
October 7th, 2010, 09:05 PM
I prefer other clients on linux, but this is awesome news, and starting to be a trend with steam for linux on its way, and ventrillo making a linux client.

beew
October 7th, 2010, 09:07 PM
I am sticking to deluge, it is an awesome torrent client. Many software vendors would creatae a fly by night Linux version which is basically a stripped down version of their windows product and then they would stop developing or quietly kill it after a while (Just off the top of my head, Foxit Linux version, Xirrus Linux version) It makes me feel like a second class computer user when I use these softwares. Windows (and Mac) will always be their pirority, it will get all the attentions and new features and bug fixes and the Linux version would probably be lingering in neglect if it doesn't get killed outright (Skype anyone?)

U-torrent may not be like that, but why bother while deluge is perfect for my Linux box?

I would use native, FOSS softwares as much as possible, it is better for my self respect.

ssulaco
October 7th, 2010, 09:16 PM
but I have settled on qBitTorrent recently. This is the fastest client I ever used.

Agreed...