PDA

View Full Version : Job help

Celesmeh
September 2nd, 2010, 09:37 PM
So im a student at Syracuse university and i recently noticed that our IT department and ITS services have no support for Ubuntu or any linux user, So ive decided to try out for the job... I guess my main query is, do you have any suggestions or tips on things i should brush up on ?

GregBrannon
September 2nd, 2010, 09:57 PM
Do they need support for Linux users? Are they advertising for a Linux support person, or are you going to suggest to them that they should have Linux support and then sell yourself as that support?

Either way, define the requirement (the need) and then train/sell yourself as necessary to meet the need. If there is no need for and/or no funding to provide Linux support, then you've lost already.

Celesmeh
September 2nd, 2010, 10:01 PM
Well they have been looking into it and they have a preference with anyone who has knowledge on the subject. I wanna sell myself as what theyve been looking for, Generally their issues come with the campus wide wireless network and certain common computer probles (its running slow, heating up, ect.). As a linux user i know that they really have very little support for us on campus, I just dont know how to sell myself accordingly.... I'm trying to make it easier for us on campus.....

cariboo
September 2nd, 2010, 10:15 PM
This really isn't a support question. Moved to the Cafe.

juancarlospaco
September 2nd, 2010, 10:19 PM
Too abstract question...

Celesmeh
September 2nd, 2010, 10:30 PM
Really i guess what im asking is what do you guys think i should say to sell myself?
what information seems important for me to know... if you were an employer what would you want me to know ?
And as a user, what do you usually have problems with? what are some common linux/ubuntu issues?

unknownPoster
September 3rd, 2010, 12:04 AM
And as a user, what do you usually have problems with? what are some common linux/ubuntu issues?

If you don't know the answers to those questions, you probably aren't qualified to provide Linux support.

juancarlospaco
September 3rd, 2010, 12:08 AM
If you don't know the answers to those questions, you probably aren't qualified to provide Linux support.

+1
No offense.

Old_Grey_Wolf
September 3rd, 2010, 12:36 AM
OP, what is the description of the position they are trying to fill? That greatly changes the answer to your question; for example:

If they want someone to help Linux using students connect to their existing systems, then you need some basic skill requirements that many Linux users have.

However, if they need someone to set up Linux based infrastructure for the University/College then those are quite different job requirements. You would need to be able to set up LDAP, DNS, SMTP, Samba, and LAMP servers, as examples of what they may need. If they need you to set up LDAP then you may be required to integrate LDAP with Windows Active Directory using 389 enterprise-class LDAP.

Zzl1xndd
September 3rd, 2010, 02:33 AM
If your comfortable with your technical skills, then I would recommend finding someone that does interviews regularly. Its a good way to be prepared for some of the odder questions you will get.

When I used to interview people, I normally asked them what their greatest flaw was. Most have trouble answering this kind of question.

So I guess my advise is be prepared for an interview.

Celesmeh
September 3rd, 2010, 05:03 AM
I think you are right i suppose, i do know the anwers to those questions... in the end i suppose im just nervous, I dont know how to sell myself or how to make it seem like they want me

Zzl1xndd
September 3rd, 2010, 05:08 AM
I think you are right i suppose, i do know the anwers to those questions... in the end i suppose im just nervous, I dont know how to sell myself or how to make it seem like they want me

Just be confident, answer the questions to the best of your ability and hope for the best.