PDA

View Full Version : what does the gnome taskbar clock applet use to get its time info?

pythonscript
September 2nd, 2010, 08:40 PM
I'm trying to write a python script that will give me the times in various cities, plus the time zone, GMT/EAT offset, etc, and I really like the information that the Gnome taskbar clock applet uses. Where does it get this information? Is this some sort of api that I could get with GET/POST, or elsewhere?

Thank you!

EDIT: Or if someone knows of a better, free service that has an api that could give me all that information, of course that would be appreciate as well!

ssam
September 2nd, 2010, 09:01 PM
have a look at tzdata and python-tz

Joeb454
September 2nd, 2010, 09:40 PM
Moved to Programming Talk - I imagine somebody here will be able to help you out :)

wojox
September 2nd, 2010, 10:54 PM
Nevermind

hakermania
September 2nd, 2010, 11:15 PM
There are plenty of command to get current system time/hour etc. Have a look at command date

pythonscript
September 3rd, 2010, 02:50 PM
I'm not so much interested in the current system time/date in my location; it's the functionality that the applet uses where it displays information about various cities/locations based on time zone. I think tzdata might be what I'm looking for; is this what the applet uses?

hakermania
September 3rd, 2010, 07:09 PM
Maybe the applet have a source which says it from where the our is set and with simple mathematic can calculate the hour in other places on earth

pbrane
September 3rd, 2010, 08:08 PM
gnome-panel applets - clock source:
http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-panel/tree/applets/clock