PDA

View Full Version : what is back track linux?

what, what?
September 2nd, 2010, 05:08 PM
So I was reading something about people hacking their ps3's and someone used something called back track linux. It had a picture of the dragon thing and I remember seeing it before, so I went to check it out. I do not use linux anymore or will I ever again because my intel graphics card is unsupported, but is back track a distro? Like ubuntu, etc?

CharlesA
September 2nd, 2010, 05:11 PM
Yes it's a distro used for pen testing.

what, what?
September 2nd, 2010, 05:12 PM
Yes it's a distro used for pen testing.

Uhh, pen testing?

undecim
September 2nd, 2010, 05:16 PM
pentesting = Penetration testing. It's a name for a type of legal hacking.

For example, XYZ Inc. wants to know secure the network at their main branch is. They hire a pentester to come in and try to hack their network. If he manages to break into the network and steal a target document (or whatever damage he finds he could do) he shows XYZ Inc. how he did it and when they can do to prevent someone else from doing it. BackTrack is usful for this because it's live CD that has all the tools you would need for this, so you can load it up on a workstation inside the building (after a little social engineering to get such physical access) and have an entire technical arsenal at your command.

TL;DR: It's a distro for hacking/cracking.

what, what?
September 2nd, 2010, 05:18 PM
pentesting = Penetration testing. It's a name for a type of legal hacking.

For example, XYZ Inc. wants to know secure the network at their main branch is. They hire a pentester to come in and try to hack their network. If he manages to break into the network and steal a target document (or whatever damage he finds he could do) he shows XYZ Inc. how he did it and when they can do to prevent someone else from doing it. BackTrack is usful for this because it's live CD that has all the tools you would need for this, so you can load it up on a workstation inside the building (after a little social engineering to get such physical access) and have an entire technical arsenal at your command.

TL;DR: It's a distro for hacking/cracking.

Oh ok. Thanks!

pwnst*r
September 2nd, 2010, 05:29 PM
So I was reading something about people hacking their ps3's and someone used something called back track linux. It had a picture of the dragon thing and I remember seeing it before, so I went to check it out. I do not use linux anymore or will I ever again because my intel graphics card is unsupported, but is back track a distro? Like ubuntu, etc?

So your internet works, but Google failed you?

Dragonbite
September 2nd, 2010, 06:38 PM
I do not use linux anymore or will I ever again because my intel graphics card is unsupported, but is back track a distro? Like ubuntu, etc?
Are you talking about the Intel 855/915? They've fixed it somewhat so far (heck, I have wobbly windows, video playback *AND* webcam working now!). If they hadn't then I would be using an older version until I can get a newer system.

98cwitr
September 2nd, 2010, 09:52 PM
Distrowatch is your friend

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=backtrack

what, what?
September 3rd, 2010, 05:03 PM
Are you talking about the Intel 855/915? They've fixed it somewhat so far (heck, I have wobbly windows, video playback *AND* webcam working now!). If they hadn't then I would be using an older version until I can get a newer system.

I have 945 or 950. if they support it then id be installing ubuntu this very second.

what, what?
September 3rd, 2010, 05:04 PM
Distrowatch is your friend

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=backtrack

Clearly i'm no linux user so theres no way for me to know of that..

Windows Nerd
September 3rd, 2010, 06:25 PM
I have 945 or 950. if they support it then id be installing ubuntu this very second.

I have an intel GMA 945, full linux support. I think they fixed it.

betrunkenaffe
September 3rd, 2010, 07:33 PM
Clearly i'm no linux user so theres no way for me to know of that..

Perhaps, but the point does still stand.

http://tinyurl.com/2b6cjme

I hope your mobo works now (since someone mentioned that they thought it was fixed).

You could also try a different distribution (Fedora, Debian, Opensuse, Sabayon, etc). I purposefully avoided the more challenging distros (Arch, Gentoo).