PDA

View Full Version : Serial to Ethernet Interface?

Krupski
September 2nd, 2010, 03:05 PM
Hi all,

I'm working on a project that uses a microcontroller to acquire temperature data from an air temperature sensor (ultimately to record temperature change patterns and be able to predict upcoming THERMALS to launch model airplanes into).

The microcontroller has an RS-232 port on it and I communicate with it via a plain text console terminal emulator.

What I WANT to do is instead access the board with a web browser.

I would write code for the microcontroller to generate HTML for simple stuff like drop-down menus, file transfers, etc...

What I need is a way to get the serial port to talk to a web browser?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

-- Roger

Zugzwang
September 2nd, 2010, 03:15 PM
I do see two possibilities:

You can run a specialized web server program on the computer that connects to the serial port. That would "mediate" between the browser and the device.
You could use another more sophisticated microcontroller that comes with an ethernet and serial interface and use it as "hardware" mediator, i.e., you plug it between the microcontroller you already have and the ethernet port. Programming it can however be quite some task.

dwhitney67
September 2nd, 2010, 03:27 PM
Or you can just develop a TCP app that funnels data between the web browser and the serial port.

soltanis
September 3rd, 2010, 12:30 AM
Ethernet and TCP/IP are implemented in a stack-like fashion. Writing it all yourself is not only complicated, but likely will not fit on a simple field-programmable microcontroller. Instead, I suggest you write an application on the computer connected to the sensor via a serial port to serve data over its network connection, since this is much easier.