PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] re sizing pre installed windows partition.(New NTFS)

shankara
September 2nd, 2010, 11:39 AM
HI

I am new to linux. I am not been able to re size the partition. Can anyone please help. I tried to re size and install ubuntu 10.04 on two machines but it did not work. Details are

HP mini ( windows xp pre installed with new ntfs partition).
Lenovo thinkpad ( windows vista pre installed).
Is new windows partition is non - re sizable?

Please help.
shankara

Ryadt
September 2nd, 2010, 11:56 AM
Why not do the resizing while installing Ubuntu rather than resizing and then installing.
When preparing the disk Ubuntu gives you the option to resize your Windows partition.

shankara
September 2nd, 2010, 12:11 PM
I tried that option but it did not work and also tried to re size the partition with windows tools.It did also not work.
Both are new systems.
Is it deliberately made to behave like this? avoiding installation of other operating systems? Both are OEM versions.

In my home I completely deleted windows, but these are my office computers( laptop and notebook).

regards

Ryadt
September 2nd, 2010, 12:14 PM
What exactly happens when you try to resize the partition during the Ubuntu installation?

shankara
September 2nd, 2010, 12:23 PM
Whole hard disk drive is pre installed with Windows ( vista in Lenovo think pad and windows xp in HP mini netbnook). In both cases I could not re size the partition using dragging the size.
I tried it with manual partition. It did not work. In windows I used a tool to re size windows partition. In all cases the button of resizing itself masked not allowing me to click.

regards and thanks for answering me.

Ryadt
September 2nd, 2010, 12:35 PM
For a start check if your laptop is compaptible with Ubuntu.
Try https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupport/Machines/Netbooks#HP%20Mini%20110-1120es

shankara
September 2nd, 2010, 12:45 PM
It is not listed. But Everything is working including wireless.
currently ubuntu is installed in external hard disk( usb disk). If we boot with that disk plugged in it boots to ubuntu otherwise it boots to windows vista. If we can make free some space in the hard disk we will install it in the hard disk.

regards

Mark Phelps
September 2nd, 2010, 01:44 PM
As a general rule, you should resize MS Windows partitions using MS Windows utilities.

You can download and install the FREE version of EASEUS Partition Master and see if it will resize your partitions.